Managed Funds NavraInvest - 1st Quarter Performance Fee?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by BSB, 4th Dec, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Don't forget that the fund still has generated income over the past 4 quarters:

4Q05 2.40%
    1Q06 3.17%
    2Q06 5.11%
    3Q06 2.20% (I think it was)

... which is approx 12.8% for the past 12 months.

The fund is generating income and is up 5.4% for the fin year to date, with nearly 7 months (over 2 quarters) remaining. Still plenty of time for it to generate well in excess of 10% distribution for the current fin year.

2. redrover

redrover Well-Known Member

Sim, you keep emphasising that this is a conservative fund, however I would argue using the LOE formula is not necessarily a conservative approach to investment especially where the value of your ultimate use of funds could potentially lose you money. Dont forget for all those using Steve's LOE to then margin up, at present interest rates, we have to overcome 8.5% approx. hurdle before we make a cent. Therefore a 10% gross income is not acceptable for a potential net 1.5% income with the risk of your unit price falling off again after each distribution and not much capital growth. I would further argue that if you had a year with the 10% return less your 8.5% holding costs, take tax into consideration and hardly any capital growth you have probably lost money certainly in opportunity costs.

I cannot understand why the 10% mark is held up as an "acceptable return" especially when a lot of investors are using the LOE formula, and when some property trusts which pay quarterly and some monthly are showing a higher return with perhaps more security for your capital. 10% was never a figure mentioned at any presentation before the fund went public! the expectation was a lot higher as were the examples quoted!! In fact I remember sitting down with Steve at the hotel at Chatswood and being handed his spreadsheet showing a 35% return for the year and my beta testing had resulted in a 36% return, so where are these figures today - same system but has obviously been modified and not for the better I think. I dont appreciate those kind of figures being bandied about before a fund goes public and then being told to expect a much lower return once it is public and all the associated management costs involved to keep it running.

Those using the LOE formula and recommended to do so by their financial adviser (NI) would need a return of at least 15% gross to make the exercise worthwhile. Now for those that are shareholders when could you expect them to get a return on their investment. If the management company needs to increase fees at the cost of distributions then those shareholders are just chasing their tail.

I would look forward in the future to both the management company and the distributions increasing their profitability and sooner rather than later.

3. Simon Hampel

Redrover, while your arguments are all correct - there isn't actually a problem since the fund has indeed returned over 15% income over the past few years - so it is working fine.

I certainly don't expect it to return this each and every year, but the occasional lower return year is acceptable to me, and that's why you have buffers and such in place.

I feel that if you are relying on the returns from a single investment to make your entire strategy work, then you are over exposed and haven't taken risk into account enough.

If this is the structure that your financial planner has set up for you and you are uncomfortable with it, then I suggest you revisit the structure with them and look for some changes.

While I speak highly of the NavraInvest funds, and indeed when I was starting to invest in funds, they were my only investment - I have since diversified to a range of growth funds. Currently NavraInvest Australian fund is around 33% of my portfolio.

In doing so, I feel I have increased my risk considerably, since the historic returns of each of the funds clearly shows that they are much more volatile than the NavraInvest fund. However, they also show much higher returns overall, so it's a risk I am prepared to take given my personal circumstances.

Once I reach my goals for total funds invested, I intend to gradually move the investments to more conservative funds, like NavraInvest - which I feel will cope much more effectively in a market downturn than many of the growth funds I hold.

Let's look at the required returns for a structured portfolio though:

If you invest at 50% LVR as suggested by Steve, and the capital you use is from a LOC secured by real estate - let's say at 7.5% interest and 8.5% for the margin loan.

Let's use an example of $100,000 total investment (including margin).

$50,000 @ 7.5% = $3,750 pa in interest
    $50,000 @ 8.5% = $4,250 pa in interest

Total interest cost = $8,000 pa

Distribution return on the fund = 10% = $10,000 pa

Net distribution = $2,000 pa

Let's say that to get the initial $50,000 investment from your property, you had geared your house to 80%, so a $250,000 property with $150,000 loan, plus the $50,000 LOC for the funds = $200,000 total loan = 80% LVR.

The $150,000 loan @ 7.5% interest = $11,250 pa

Let's say this is an investment property showing a 4% yield after costs, so $250,000 @ 3.5% = $10,000 pa in net rental income

So the shortfall on the loan is $11,250 - $10,000 = $1,250 pa

We have $2,000 pa in surplus funds from the fund, so we have $750 pa net surplus overall.

If the fund returns 15% (as it has over the last few years), then the net distribution becomes $100,000 @ 15% = $15,000 - $8,000 interest = $7,000 net distribution - $1,250 property holding costs = $5,750 net income.

Now I haven't taken growth into account at all - and that is actually the main driver of our wealth ... the growth in the real estate portfolio - so that's where the actually sweetness come from.

Naturally, a single $250,000 property is nowhere near enough on its own to get to the point of LOE - but it's a start. Take our example and do it 10 times, so you now have $2.5m worth of property, all of a sudden at 15% return you have $57,500 in net income each year from the portfolio - before you even consider the growth in the real estate.

Even at only 10% distribution, you are easily covering your costs, and let's say we get 5% growth in the property portfolio, there's $125,000 pa in extra growth we can tap in to !!

Naturally, if interest rates continue to rise much beyond where they are now, the whole structure needs to be revisited, perhaps looking at lower LVRs and more conservative returns ... but it can still be made to work.

If the fund were to consistently return LESS than 10%, you would need to rethink the strategy - and you would want to make sure you have sufficient cash buffers to cater for occasional shortfalls in income.

I would suggest that if the NavraInvest funds were to consistently return less than 10%, then the market must be in pretty bad shape, and most of the other funds out there would be struggling as well.

4. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Sim,

Then take tax out of that at the top marginal tax rate and you're at a touch over $1,000 on a $100,000 investment. That may not be sufficient to offset the associated risk for this category of investment.

There is always the risk of a negative return, where you could go backwards in a given year. Lets assume a negative 5% annual return (conservative negative assumption for an equities investment):

Total interest cost = $8,000 pa
    Actual return on funds invested = -5% = -$5,000 pa
    Net return = -$13,000 pa

So if the range of returns were between -5% and positive 10% then the range of gross (pre-tax) returns would be between -$13,000 and +$2,000. Basically, you'd need a lot of good years to mitigate the risk of the bad ones. Sure the market has been trending upwards since inception, but we're yet to see how the fund returns in a bearish market. I've noted the unit prices do drop as the market drops so it certainly can lose value as the market does.

Even if the fund's range is -5% to +15%, the gross return range would be -$13,000 to +$7,000. i.e. the mid-point is still negative. We better just hope this fund does well in a bad market if the best it can do in a good one is +15%. The juries still out on that one.

Cheers,
    Michael.

5. Simon Hampel

I expect that if the market were to drop, the fund would certainly drop with it (it still does fundamentally hold shares which fluctuate with the market) - but over the medium term it would outperform the market since it had bought cheaply during the downturn. This happened in May - Jun this year during the market correction - the fund went from underperforming to outperforming as a result of that correction.

The fund doesn't automatically make money from a down turn - it's the upswing that comes after it where the profits come from, so if the market does turn down it may take a couple of months (depending on how long the downturn is) for the profits to be realised.

I would expect a negative return year to be followed by some high positive returns (higher than the market) in following years as the market recovers.

6. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Sim,

But when you're leveraged those drops and recoveries can still result in a negative return net of interest charges. You know that I chart the funds performance relative the ASX200 but I also chart my net profits as attached.

You'll note that over that May to Jun peak-to-peak period I actually lost money (about $9,000) but the fund had recovered to its original position. And even today, when the fund is now some 4% higher than it was back in May I am still effectively neutral over that whole period. The reason being that my interest costs are around 8% pa and since May to now is about 6 months or 4% in interest costs.

Still, I am up about $60K net of interest over the 13.5 month period charted. About $50K has been paid in interest out of my $110K gross return.

Cheers,
    Michael.

Attached Files:

7. redrover

Michael

Could you factor inflation running at just under 4% p.a. into your calculations to see where that puts us, because if property rises approx 5% p.a. and inflation runs at just under this, with holding costs, we could be going no where fast!?!?!?:confused: This inflation aspect further reflects on the fund's performance in dollar buying power which I dont believe is currently factored in the equation?

8. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

I'm not sure inflation is all that relavant when you are using OPM is it?

Well I suppose it is if you are trying to LOE from the managed funds, but I think the capital growth for LOE should come from other investments apart from Navra being an income / cashflow fund.

Man cannot live on NavraInvest alone.

MJK

9. Simon Hampel

Indeed - OPM relies on inflation for the biggest benefit.

You borrow $x in today's money, and pay back the same amount some time in the future when inflation has made that figure a lot smaller.

10. Jane M

Jane M Well-Known Member

I think we should also consider the value of franking credits, when considering the place that the Navra funds have in portfolios.

About 6% of Navra income is franked.

The traditional approach of including fully franked shares in a portfolio, which can yield 4.5%-6% plus franking credits, should not be overlooked.

I am also wondering if other have noticed that GTP, Great Southern Plantations, has been included in the Navra list of shares? It seems a little out of place, in terms of its blue chip status and size, with some of the others? What has this done to what Sim refers to as the conservative nature of the fund?

11. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Steve be warned (I will be calling you next week !!) - two "obvious" stocks to me are ZFX (Zinifex) and PDN (Paladin) - why these are not in the included stocks is beyond me.
    Although PDN does not pay dividends (yet) - it has consistently been one of the better stocks for several years. Added is the fact that Uranium is tipped to double in price to $125 per pound over the next 4 years.
    Zinifex - well Zinc has been a great performer for months now (apart from this week !!) , and pays a very good dividend. Check out the graphs for the price of zinc here - which is having a breather now as supply has increased in the last few days .
    Also both of these stocks are extremely volatile - they can have 5% fluctuations up or down in a day - a perfect trading stock for the Navra methodology.

12. Simon Hampel

I suspect that the Navra fund is already very exposed to resources stocks - I remember a media report to this effect a while back. Even with the resources boom, I think it would pay to not be over-exposed.

Don't forget they only trade around 20 stocks ... and with companies like BHP Billiton in there, they have a very large exposure to the overly volatile resources sector.

Volatility isn't the sole criteria - if it were, they would be trading small caps.

13. Rick__

Rick__ Well-Known Member

Maybe a new fund should be started - marketed as "high risk" - that holds the type of shares Perky mentions.

There are a lot companies with volatile share prices, but also that are very healthy financially with low debt levels so the chances of them going broke are minimal anyway. The high risk part is fluctuating share prices.

This would give the NavTrade system a real chance to show it's form.

14. Bob__

Bob__ Well-Known Member

high risk

Maybe forumites can then post that the Navra fund is taking too many risks

Bob

15. perky

perky Well-Known Member

I know Sim - but BHP , STO for example are 2 stocks that are going nowhere over the last few months.

I tried to paste in the chart of BHP, but cant do it.....anyway my idea would be to drop those underperforming ones such as those above and put in the others as suggested.

16. Rick__

Rick__ Well-Known Member

Here's another idea even further outside the square.

I'd like to be able to pick my own shares and still have Navra operate their system - so maybe there could be a section at NavraInvest that acts more in a brokerage type capacity and once a client advises they'd like to invest so much in such and such a company Navra would invest the dollars using the NavTrade system.

Probably an administrative nightmare but really not much different to a full service broker.

For the hands on type this would be a real boon.

The reason the Navra funds are the only funds I invest in is because I never agree with all of the shares fund manages select. If I could use the NavTrade system for my own selections I'd be as happy as Larry.

I'd also be interested to see how my selections, which obviously would be picked to meet my own criterea and risk levels would perform using their system.

I know the current funds were set up for a specific purpose and I'm not trying to take anything away from that. I'm just looking to future possibilities.

What does everyone else think?

17. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Why don't you trade your own system using full service broker ??.
    Do not forget that Navra system was designed and tested to trade blue chips mainly, so this system may not work with other shares such as green chips...etc....
    :cool:

18. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Hi Rickson.

I only just noticed the Great Southern Plantations(GPT) inclusion too and it does appear a little unusual doesn't it?

While I always understood the 'theoretical investment world' of the Fund to be the ASX200, it seems a bit unusual for them to even go out of the Midcap50 let alone into the ASX100. To select a company outside of the ASX100, albeit in the ASX200, seems stranger still. :confused:

19. redrover

I suspect that GTP is included because Steve was selling GTP tax advantaged tree plantings earlier in the year to act as a tax deduction for investors with a tax problem. It certainly cannot match the criteria of the other "blue chips" in the portfolio because there are other stocks that are more worthy to be included. I think it is to do with supporting the marketing campaign for the "trees"!!

20. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Hi Redrover.

Personally I would hope.........no......expect, any companies included in the Fund to be placed there only for the strictest of Fundamental Analysis reasons.