Navra's Tax Optmisation structure

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by hillsguy, 30th Mar, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

Hi all, I interested in starting a thread to discuss Steve Navra's tax optimisation structure.

This could help others too who may have questions along the way. Just curious if there is any interest and where would be the appropiate place to start. Surely there must be lots of opinions and views ... perhaps even some confusion ? :confused:

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Hi HTL ... I went to the presentation that Steve GTP put on last night - which answered a lot of questions for me.

I need to do some spreadsheet analysis to see if I'm comfortable with the way the numbers work - and then I'll post my opinion.

I must say that I like the concept of the wine grape scheme far better than the plantations due to the fact that there is some return from year 2 onwards, rather than waiting until year 10 for any return at all from the scheme (ignoring the Navra part of the structure).

3. pudsa

pudsa Active Member

Hi Sim, were you able to record the Q & A session (presuming there was one)?
    Cheers:)

4. Simon Hampel

Yes, I did record it pudsa ... Steve was in fine form - talked for nearly 2 hours!

The biggest challenge will be to make sense of what was said - a lot of it was explained with the help of the whiteboard - so it may not make sense as stand-alone audio.

I'll see what I can extract and perhaps break it into smaller chunks to make it easier to manage. I may have to supplement some of it with diagrams and such - or perhaps a spreadsheet or two.

I'll see if I can get something posted over the weekend.

I will note that most of the Q&A were general questions about the fund and Steve's structure - and not quite so much about the tax stuff - that was covered separately by the people from GTP (although didn't specifically talk about Steve's structure ... but that aspect of it is quite simple).

5. pudsa

pudsa Active Member

Thanks Sim, I'll look forward to whatever you can make from it. Had intended to be there but one thing and another, something called life just made it impractical.
    Cheers

6. hillsguy

Sim, was this after the presentation at the Vibe hotel ? I had to take off after the official presentation was over.

7. Simon Hampel

No - there was repeat of the presentation held last night at GTP's offices. The Q&A session was after that presentation.

8. hillsguy

Got it. Silly question ... what is GTP ?

9. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

HtL
    GTP = Great Southern Plantation
    Jayar

10. hillsguy

Should be GSP not GTP then right ? ;)

11. Simon Hampel

GTP is the ASX code.

12. Mark Leo

Mark Leo Well-Known Member

Steve Navra's tax optimisation structure

Sim,

Is there a relatively simple explanation of the Navra tax optimisation structure for those that have not been fully exposed to it before....perhaps a post or series of posts on investEd somewhere, or something written by Steve? Posting/revising something like that might be a good way to get this discussion string going.

Regards,
    Mark Leo.

13. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

Sim did you ever get around to this?

14. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

Just a question for those who have decided to invest in the 2007 Great Southern Plantations project via NavraInvest.

Can anyone give their interpretation of the following statements from the PDS.

"In the event that the fees and rent payable by Growers in year four of the relevant Project, or in any year onwards, up to but not including the Termination year are not sufficient to cover the Minimum cost for that year, then that shortfall amount may be deducted by the RE from the Growers returns in the following year. If the growers return in that following year are not sufficient to meet the shortfall amount then growers will be required to pay the amount of the shortfall amount that is not met by the borrowers returns in that following year" P24 2nd last paragraph.

"The annual Vineyard rental fee is only applicable in the years that net annual harvest proceeds are generated" P25 first paragraph

"Minimum Cost means in relation to a financial year, $260 per vinelot for the financial year 1 july 2010 to 30 June 2011 multiplied by the number of vinelots least by the grower and then that amount indexed by the CPI movement in each following financial year of the relevant project" P83 Minimum cost definition

My understanding is that after the 4th year, if the grapes don't make a return for 2 years in a row the grower will have to pay $260 per vinelot indexed against inflation. Does this seem right? Just trying to understand all possible future fees and charges that are involved.

15. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

*BUMP*

How did you go with the audio and powerpoint Sim, i'd still be keen to look, listen and learn:)

16. TPI

TPI Well-Known Member

Ah yes, and I was so looking forward to sharing some constructive thoughts on this creative structure...

GSJ

17. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

It would be great to have this on DVD!

18. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Hi David

Hypothetically, if such a DVD was for sale, how much would you pay for it?

Cheers
    N.

19. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

I'd probably pay up to $99 for it.

I've read in the past that Steve conducted these seminars at cost price. If this were the same for the DVD version, I'd imagine it would cost less.

I think a digital download at say $39 would be great.

20. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback David.

I'll explore it with Steve...but no promises okay! From looking into it previously, it's actually quite expensive to put something like this together...

Cheers
    N.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.