Need help investing!

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by conduct, 6th Jan, 2011.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. conduct

conduct New Member

Hi, so I've come across the problem of where and how to invest my money.

I have just got a part time job and I very rarely spend money and therefore my money is just sitting there, I am very interested in putting it into something that will be able to make me money and shares are an interest of mine but I have encountered the problem that there are just so many shares and it is quite overwhelming.

I'm just asking where I could start.

2. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Just pick one small area that interests you and study that. The world of finance is Huge.

Johny. :)

3. davosphere

davosphere New Member

Have you considered an Investment Property?
    An investment property would boost your passive income and provide potential tax benefits.
    The big plus with property investments is that they are highly leveraged. Utilizing leverage means that with a minimal amount of funds available, you can magnify your potential return.
    Your borrowing capacity is usually higher with an investment home loan, therefore you can purchase your desired home now, rent it out and move in later when you can afford it!

Last edited by a moderator: 23rd Aug, 2012
  4. whitgr

whitgr New Member

Hi

sounds like you are keen to commence investing which is a great start.

First you need to work out how long you would like to invest the funds for and what is your risk tolerance for investing (conservative, balanced, growth or aggressive). If you only have a 2 year time horizon then you would be best to place it in an ING savings maximiser account especially if you need the funds at the end of 2 years.

If your investment horizon is longer, 5-7 years time you could consider investing in growth assets such as property or managed funds/shares.

It sounds like you may have minimal funds to invest you probably do not have enough capital for deposit for an investment property acquisition, and your part time wage might not support an investment property loan, however, speak to your bank account this and see if you qualify if this is the path you wish to go down.

With managed funds you can start with a small capital outlay and continue to add to the investment each month as and when you have surplus funds. If you are looking to get into the property market this could be a good way for you to build up a depost for a property. Alternativley, have a look at the first home buyers account option as this is a good way to build up a deposit.

5. Glenlivet

Glenlivet New Member

hope this helps

I'd youtube Warren Buffett in particular "Warren Buffett MBA" and listen to them all.

Also, there are some interesting blogs out there with ideas e.g. so I can invest......

Hope it helps!