Need some clarification onmy situation?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Hunting_dollars, 26th Mar, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hunting_dollars

Hunting_dollars Member

Hi guys I was wondering if anybody could help me with my situation to see if there is anything I could improve/change. I have an IP with an IO loan in my name only. The interest for this loan is debited from an account which is in my name and my wife's name. Because the interest is deducted from an account which has dual ownership, does it mean that I can only claim half the interest expense as a deduction?

Also, similarily I have a LOC for investing purposes (mainly shares) which is in my name and my wife's. The interest for this LOC is debited from another dual owned account. So who gets to claim the interest as a deduction?

2. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

The deductability relates to the entities in whose name the investment is held - the debt is deductable because of the investment.

If the investments are in your name then both the income and deductions are yours.

Cheers

3. Hunting_dollars

Hunting_dollars Member

Thanks handyandy, so the IP is in my name therefore I can claim the interest in full. and the shares are in my wife's name therefore the interest paid is deductable in full by her. even though the both sets of interest are paid from a joint account where my wife and I both deposit our salaries?

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Doesn't matter where you get the money from - only matters what the money is for.

5. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

Hi...let me first introduce myself first, I am from Nigeria.......

:D

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.