Negative gearing not an option, says Labor

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Simon Hampel, 23rd Jul, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Negative gearing not an option, says Labor | NEWS.com.au Business

2. seaview

seaview Well-Known Member

Hey, does anyone know what the low income housing incentive sheme is that Labour has supposedly "talked about". Most of our IPs are at bottom end of market, so maybe I should get excited, but just can't get into the mood. That reminds me I want to start a new post about whether Labour will bring in a Wealth Tax.
    :(
    Seaview

3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

After the impact that the removal of negative gearing had on the economy and housing market back in 1985 I doubt that the govt would revisit that :)

After reading and listening to those in the property industry recently, my bets are on the federal govt increasing the FHOG and/or providing a tax break to first home owners to lessen the rental crisis, rental "incentives" such as subsidies being offered to those landlords who offer to discount rent in return for longer term publicly-funded housing dept tenants, and the strong possibility of the "Great Australian Dream" becoming less of a priority for the future generations who choose to rent rather than buy. This is already happening, with less Australians buying now than in the past.

One thing's for certain: housing affordability is now a central issue in the upcoming federal election and may even put pressure on determining the outcome in several electorates- expect to hear a lot more about property and affordability prior.