Join our investing community

Network connection unplugged

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mark Laszczuk, 30th Apr, 2008.

1. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm having a rather frustrating time with my network connection lately. The problem is that the 'Network connection unplugged' box keeps popping up every few seconds. Thing is - I don't lose my network connection, so I still have internet connectivity.

I've been all over the internet trying to find a solution, with no luck. It's really more annoying than anything else. I've got a Linksys AG241 4 port modem and am connected to the internet via Internode (it's the modem I bought from them when I hooked up with them). I haven't called them yet, thought I'd ask on here in case anyone knows a solution before I gave them a tingle.

Mark

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Are you using WiFi or Ethernet to connect to your router ?

Which network connection is complaining? It may well be that whichever one you aren't using is doing the complaining (which is why you are still online) and you just need to shut it up somehow.

3. Mark Laszczuk

Hi Sim,

If by Ethernet you mean I have a cable that runs from the modem to the computer, then yes, it is Ethernet. I've done that - there are two computers hooked up to the modem, so I've moved them both to the spare ports, but it's still happening.

Mark

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Do you even use WiFi ? If not, you may want to go into your network connections and try disabling the wifi connection (right click on it and select "disable") - I suspect that it is your WiFi network connection that keeps complaining about not being connected - it keeps hunting for a connection and fails.

5. Mark Laszczuk

No dice Sim. The only connection I have is the Local Area Connection.

Mark

6. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Try swapping cables with the other computer. It sounds like some quirky cable or network card problem. Is the network card a removable one (eg via a PCMCIA or PCI card), it so it might be becoming disconnected momentarily.

By the way, it's unrelated to Internode so don't call them.

7. Mark Laszczuk

Hi Glebe,

That's what I was thinking it might be. I've unplugged the cable (on my computer) and replugged it in - it only seems to be an issue when both my computer and my flatmate's are running at the same time.

He claims he can't get internet access, whereas I don't have an issue. Could it be that a problem with his connection is affecting me (that is, his computer is having a problem and due to being on the same network, the 'problem' shows up on my computer as well?

Mark

8. mmerlin

mmerlin Member

Hi Mark,

I have the exact same gear as you: Linksys AG241 4 port modem via Internode

I have 8 computers and NAS devices all connected to the AG241 (some are also via a Netgear hub)

The only time I've had intermittent network connection problems on any machine was because of a dodgy network cable.

I bought a new 10-pack of 5m cables from auspcmarket.com and that solved my problems. Just type "network cable" in the top right search box, there's plenty of sizes available.

Actually there are two other things I can think of that the network connection problem could possibly be caused by
    - dodgy network card in your PC
    - the AG241 is overheating. Turn if off for an hour and try again, and if that's the problem the put it in a more well ventilated area

P.S. It's *very unlikely* that the problems on the other computer are showing up on yours as the network connection problem.

9. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Mark,

Third issue could be that both computers want to use the same IP Address.
    Which maybe why the issue is only happening when both computers are trying to use the network...

Check under "Start" -> "Run" then punch in "cmd".
    In the textbox type "ipconfig"

Compare your IP Address to your flatmates.
    If they are the same your going to have to change one of them.

Cheers,

Dan

10. Seamus

Seamus Member

Sim's right that checking the computers have unique IP addresses should be your first step. I'm pretty sure the AG241 will give out unique DHCP addresses by default but it's definitely worth looking at.

I'm with Internode and have just replaced my AG241 with a Billion integrated VOIP modem but I noticed that the AG241 would sometimes look like it was dropping connections when it had either been running for too long or had too many connections open (<cough>bit torrent</cough>)

I found that upgrading the firmware did help a bit but I'd also recommend checking out if you flatmate is downloading a lot of files at the same time you experience the errors.

I'm a Mac and Linux user so I'm not sure of the specifics but I have a vague memory that it may be possible to disable the network icon and possibly the warnings. Maybe try right-clicking on the disconnected icon when it shows up?

11. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Gotta love the torrent cough... :)