new IP

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by talbashan, 16th Jun, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. talbashan

talbashan Well-Known Member

hi all,

i need a bit of opinion and advise:

i have settled on a new IP yesterday. the tenants moved in today only to discover that the hot water system doesn't work (being a former display home, the hot water system was turned off during our pre inspection). the developers can only fix it on monday which means that the tenants will spend the weekend without hot water.
    although the tenants were quite good about it, i've decided to deducted 3 days rent but will try to get this money back from the developers.

do you think that i have a case??? :)

thanks
    tal

2. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

It's worth a shot. Send them a fax or letter requesting it.

Might be the most profitable 10 minutes of typing you've ever spent :D

Cheers
    N.

3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Hi talbashan,

I had a similar problem. Check if all hot water power points are on. One next to the hot water system and the other one in the meter box (this one was off in my case, and tenants were without hot water for a week).
    Good luck
    :cool:

4. talbashan

thanks guys,
    apparently they have investigated and found a part that needs replacing.
    oh well, teething problems i guess. i can't wait for it all to settle down.. does it ever?

5. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Small lesson here - check these things before settlement.

My last place had a busted HWS and fortunately we found it before settlement and the vendor fixed it.

I reckon the rent refund should keep them happy - after all it is really just showers they are missing.

Don't the developers have tradies who work weekends? I know I can find one if I need one. That might be the issue to push as it could be fixed Sat morning easily enough.

i hope it is easily resolved.

Cheers,

6. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Simon is right, as tedious and unnecessary though it may seem at the time, a pre-settlement inspection should form an essential part of the buying process.

Mind you, with a new house, one would expect something like the hot water system to work!! Hope it all pans out smoothly for you, Tal :)

7. talbashan

the lesson was certainly taken on board. i spoke to the PM (who did the pre settlement inspection) if it is usual practice to check for the hot water system and she said no. i think i will insist on that on my next property.
    we never stop learning..:)

8. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

It is not usual practice to check for hot water? Methinks a more diligent PM might be in order.

Did you ask her what she did check?

I think you should check it yourself or at the very least someone with an interest in the property. Even a fully paid building inspection might uncover everything the developer has to fix and may be $275 well spent.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia