Join our investing community

New member considering career change

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by riverrat321, 26th Dec, 2010.

1. riverrat321

riverrat321 Member

Hi Guys, I joined this forum in the hope of getting a better idea about working as either a financial planner or possibly an accountant. I'm in my early 30's and have worked my way up into a management role in my current position however job insecurity bad hours are making me look at my options. Anyway the forum here looks great and you will probably see a lot of silly questions poping up from me. Thanks for your time in reading.

2. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Hi riverrat321

4 posts & no replies. All the FPs must be on holidays. I'm not one.

I have met two types of advisors. Those that try to sell me a product, and those with my financial wellbeing at heart. Those fiduciary promoters are few. They take time to build up a relationship. They don't lecture but comunicate. They include my ideas, and listen to my needs. And a level of trust is created.

If you are that type of person, then welcome to the world of finance. If you want to flog funds, then you will have a lot of competition.

Are you working for yourself, or are you working for your clients? That is a question to ask yourself.

Best of Luck, :)
    Johny.

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Dec, 2010
  3. riverrat321

riverrat321 Member

Hi Johny,

Thanks for that. People seem to think im a good listener (truth is I have a short attention span and tend to turn off after a couple of minutes). But they dont need to know that! While I loke the idea of financial planning very much the insecurity of it is kind of putting me off. I may have to wait till my partner is back at work which wont be for a couple of years as I cant bring in any less money than I am already. If I could start part time it may be the answer. Anyway I will keep checking in here to learn what I can. i need to make a decision in the next month, financial planning diploma, Accounting diploma (takes longer and it seems you really need to go to uni for accounting), or possibly do more training in my industry??? Anyway hopefully I can make the decission soon. Thank you for your reply.

4. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Riverrat,

You may be able to come across into finance in a management role. That may keep the seniority that you currently have and also give a better income than an adviser.

Cheers,

Dan

5. riverrat321

riverrat321 Member

Hi Dan,
    Thanks for your reply. What area of Finance are you thinking? What study do you think I could do to help make the transition?
    Thanks heaps,
    Jason.