Managed Funds New Platinum Fund released

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Glebe, 3rd Apr, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

For any fans of Platinum out there, Platinum have released a new PDS because they've launched a new fund:

"The changes to the PDS relate to the launching of a new product, the Platinum Unhedged Fund. The Platinum Unhedged Fund is very different to the other Platinum Trust Funds in that it is a relatively concentrated portfolio of global shares with no currency or market hedging i.e. it is a long-only, unhedged Fund. The Fund’s portfolio will typically have a 90% exposure to stocks"

Source: Platinum Asset Management

http://www.platinum.com.au/images/pds07_050307.pdf

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I haven't read the PDS yet - but I'm wondering how it will differ (other than hedging) from the Platinum International fund ? Will it use similar share selection methodologies (or even the same shares) as the International Fund ?

3. Simon Hampel

Looks interesting ... will have to keep an eye on this fund - still too early to make any judgements on performance I feel ... first year was excellent, but has been only average so far this financial year.

Will be keen to see which margin lenders pick it up first.

4. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

I agree that the P Int fund's performance has been pretty average this last year. I am up about 4% from my purchase date inc distr reinvestment.

5. Simon Hampel

I sold out of the Platinum International fund late last year - I wasn't getting the consistent growth I saw in other parts of my portfolio ... and I think I was a bit too diversified (13 funds ... now down to 6).

I still like Platinum, and I have most of their funds on my watchlist ... but I'll only invest in them if they look like getting pretty consistent growth that's at least as good as what my other funds are getting. While the Australian market is so strong, and international markets relatively weak, I doubt we will see much significant performance from the Platinum funds compared to what we can all get locally.