Join our investing community

New to Invested

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dynasty007, 26th Jun, 2009.

1. dynasty007

dynasty007 Member

Hi All,

I have joined Invested in the last week. I just turned 25, am from Melbourne and just bought my first investment property a few weeks ago, it settles in late August.

I am looking forward to learning more about property, shares and other techniques on this website. Before buying my property I watched a few of Jamie Mcyintre's DVD's and was actually very interested in doing his course, the only thing that stopped me was that I wanted to buy my property first.

Do any of you know much about Jamie's course and whether it is a good foundation in order to start learning more about shares, e business etc. I was particularly interested in the buying & renting of covered calls strategy.

Any feedback would be great, or just drop me a post and say hi it's great to find a forum where like minded people can chat!!!!

Regards,

Michael.

2. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Welcome!

Do some web searching here and elsewhere about Jamie McIntyre and his 21st Century Academy (I think it was called).

Form your own view, but if you want to go to a course leave your wallet at home. I went to one of his seminars about 8 years ago. Like many of the seminar presenters he packages up fairly straightforward finance and investment concepts as some sort of "secret knowledge" and doles it out with the usual "rah rah" style.

Well worn cliches like "J.O.B" means just over broke and the usual % of people that retire wealthy (being less than 1% of the population) and that the age pension is bare subsistence living etc were trotted out then (and probably still are).

Nothing that you couldn't get from reading a few books, talking to a few investors and hanging around sites like this! [* shameless plug * ;)]

cheers
    N

3. dynasty007

dynasty007 Member

Hey Nigel,

Thanks for the advice! You are right he still does plug the J.O.B and pension concepts, it was on the free dvd I watched. Well now that I have actually bought my first investment property I can substitute my house hunting time for checking out this website and reading a few books on shares!

4. dynasty007

dynasty007 Member

Hey I forgot to ask you do you know of any books which are helpful in learning about covered calls and other share strategies?

Cheers,

Mike

5. Player

Player Member

Secrets..........shhhhh!

"Trading Secrets" and "The Secret of Writing Options" both by Louise Bedford are easy reads.

"The Art of Trading" by Chris Tate is also a worthy trading book. He is a colleague of hers and if I'm not mistaken her mentor or teacher in her early days. He also goes thru mindset and psychology in the earlier chapters in a fairly blunt and forthright manner. All useful when negotiating Mr. Market.

A book I only came across in the least year is by Stan Weinstein called "Secrets for Profiting in Bull & Bear Markets" Terrific book.

As you can see Mike, a lot of secrets in those titles ;)

Cheers,

M.

6. dynasty007

dynasty007 Member

Thanks for your help, looks like I have a lot of reading to do! Ahhh so much to do and so little time.......

Cheers,

Michael.

7. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Few more books...
    "The Secret Of Candlestick Charting" – Louise Bedford
    "Understanding Options Trading in Australia" – Christopher Tate
    "Taming the Bear" – Christopher Tate
    "Getting Started in Options" – Michael C.Thomsett
    "Trading For A Living" - Dr. Alexander Elder
    "Share Trading" & "Trading Tactics" & "Chart Trading" – Daryl Guppy
    "Trading Stock Options and Warrants" – Chris Temby
    "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" - Edwin Lefevre
    "The New Market Wizards" - Jack D.Schwager
    "Technical Analysis From A to Z" - Steven B.Achelis

8. dynasty007

dynasty007 Member

Thanks, now I just have to choose which one to read first !!!!!!

Cheers,

Mike.

9. joanmc

joanmc Well-Known Member

Hi Mike, as player says...lots of "secrets" out there! LOL
    check out the asx website too it has some great learning stuff on it, including writing, buying and selling options (Jamie's "renting" shares!.....why can't he just say options????).

congrats on your purchase and good luck with your journey to wealth, there are some real young guns here so you are in good company.

10. dynasty007

dynasty007 Member

Thanks Joan!

I will check out the asx website and see what I can find. I read the living off equity article a few days ago on here and loved it. That is exactly what I want to do! Oh well first things first, learning about shares LOL....

11. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hi Dynasty and welcome to InvestEd

As the saying goes "Those who question learn". Take advantage of the great community we have here and invite discussions- we all learn from them and you'll be surprised at just how useful collective wisdom can be.
    Happy reading :)