Join our investing community

New to InvestED

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KamakazeSalami, 7th Jul, 2009.

1. KamakazeSalami

KamakazeSalami New Member

Hi There!

What a great site! Thanks to those who have set it up and maintain/moderate it. Finally found the site I've been looking for all these years, can't believe its taken me so long.

I'm in my late 30's and I'm just looking for a community of like minded folk who can help, educate, inspire and motivate me to achieving my financial goals. Hopefully I can do some of this for others too :). I've been what I call an 'in and out' investor for over a decade now.

I started out my investment journey around 12 years ago pretty fired up with lots of goals and enthusiasm and have achieved some of those goals, however, I've found that I've become a bit complacent over the years (bought, ran and sold a restaurant... while working full time, also have 3 tweenie kids... with a wife :) and while I have a library of books/resources sitting behind me, haven't really made the commitment to really take my investments to the next level by educating myself and committing to nurture them along consistently. Partly this has been because I just haven't been able to mingle with like minded folk who find this topic interesting/invigorating and who want to achieve something more than just working the old 9 to 5.

We own an investment property in Perth (I live in Canberra) and also have a modest share portfolio with some cash reserves on the side. We are now thinking that we should really start looking at another investment property. I really should also take a scythe to my share portfolio and consolidate and refresh its holdings.

So thats pretty much what has motivated me to get back into spending more time investing in my investment education.

Look forward to a new journey of discovery!

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Welcome to InvestEd - great to have you here.

3. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hi Kam and welcome

You'll find a plethora of personalities and a wealth of collective information here from the many members who we're very lucky to have contribute to these forums.

I mainly hang out at the real estate section (shares are not my forte!) and look forward to hearing all about your plans for a new IP there.
    How long ago did you buy in Perth? That's one city that's been through a massive boom and come down with a thud, hasn't it?

4. KamakazeSalami

KamakazeSalami New Member

Thanks Jacque

Yeah, the online forums are a great melting pot for people and opinions... thats for sure! I've been spending waaaaay too much time on a footy forum and thought I could probably better use my time getting back into re-educating myself on all things investment. :eek::eek:

I read your article on due diligence and thought it was great. Stuff that I knew I guess but was nice to have it covered off fairly comprehensively in one place and a great reminder of the sort of comprehensive research we should do before jumping in. Nice work.

I bought in Perth around March 06... just before the peak I guess... 6 months earlier and I would've been soooo much happier about it. Values have retreated to about what I bought it for so I guess its not too bad in that sense. One thing that has been a positive though is that I've never had a problem tenanting the property... good tenants though, thats another story. :) Rents have also grown fairly strongly over the 3 years.

I was in Perth recently and my brother just had an offer for a place accepted while I was there. I have to say the prices still are comparitively pretty high ($460k for a 3 bed 2 bath 60s style place about 25km from the city on a 435sqm block!!!). So anecdotally I'd say prices haven't fallen as many seem to suggest.