Managed Funds Newbe on MF's - thoughts

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by jonas, 15th Oct, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jonas

jonas Member

Hi,
    I am looking into start investing long-term (more than 7yrs) in Managed Funds but I am tossing between 2 alternatives.
    Funds that I am interested in is “Colonial First State (FirstChoice) Geared Share” or “Perpetual WFI Perpetual's Geared Australian”. One reason being that the initial investment only needs to be $1000 as long as I contribute min $100/month. I do understand that they are geared and that means a greater risk.

Compare Funds

The other option I am considering is Raboplus as they have lower fees but there is a limited selection and they don’t have many Geared funds to choose from –Perpetual WFI Perpetual's Geared Australian is available here as well. The reason I am not 100% comfortable with Raboplus is that you don’t “own” the funds yourself and you rely on that Raboplus is going to around for a while.

Also, if you setup a MF with Colonial or Perpetual can you easily do additional deposits – or do you have to fill out the all the forms again for every additional transaction?

I would appreciate any comments etc,

J

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Oct, 2009
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've not used Perpetual, so I can't comment.

CFS make it very easy to make additional payments - you can transfer money in using BPay or you can set up a direct debit arrangement to have the amount you wish to invest deducted directly from your bank account. They also make it easy to make regular investments.

I currently hold the W/S equivalent of that CFS geared fund in my SMSF. I haven't really researched that Perpetual fund so I can't comment - taking a quick look back at part performance compared to the CFS fund, they seem to be pretty similar - with CFS only just pulling ahead in performance over the past 12 months (but performance in the past 6 months has been similar again).

Depending on cost, ease of use, etc ... it seems that both might do the job.