Newly wed question

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by wokka59, 5th Apr, 2013.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wokka59

wokka59 New Member

Hi all

This is my first post so here goes. I got married 4months ago. My wife and I lived in separate properties. Mine is worth 1.1k and has a mortgage of 380K with 90K in an offset. My wife's is worth 600 with a mortgage of 250, but no offset.

Now I live together in hers and we rent out mine for 850 a week. I understand that the interest on my loan is now tax deductible. The plan is to continue to rent out my place to finance a renovation in 2 or 3 years.Then to move back to my place after the renovation and rent hers out(the one I am living in now)
    Both our properties are still in separate names.I am the major breadwinner.

I saw my accountant last week and he suggested refinancing both my loans.2 separate loans with offsets. Increasing my loan to increase the interest as a tax deduction.

I got a bit confused about what he said in relation to moving money around from the loans when we move back to my place

Could some kind person advise me on a good course of action and to clarify things

Any other suggestions are most welcome

Thank you

Wokka

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Increasing your loan won't make it deductible.

Deductibility depends on what the money is used for.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

For starters what I would suggest you consider is

Change both loans to interest only. Get an offset on the wife's property. Move all your offset cash into this one and then continue to only pay interest only.

In a few years when you move back into the other property in your name take the money out of the offset and place it into the offset on that property.

This way you are saving non deductible interest and maximising deductions.

4. wokka59

wokka59 New Member

thanks Terry,much appreciated

Wokka

5. GregReid

GregReid Well-Known Member

I agree with Terry.
    The use of an offset is primarily to reduce interest and on the property where you do not get a tax deduction for. As your own property is now an investment property for 2 to 3 years, then as Terry says, change the loan to an interest only (IO) and you can claim the full interest amount on $380k as a tax deduction against your income. This loan does not yet need an offset facility.

By changing your wifes loan to an IO as well with an offset (as it is now your primary place of residence (PPOR)), move your $60k across into this offset. It will reduce the interest cost that is non deductible.

I suggest if you are able, continue to make the same level of payments as before but the extra now goes into the offset. In that way you will build funds needed for your renovation without needing additional (non deductible) borrowings.

When you move back into your own home, your wife's becomes the investment property with a $250k mortgage that is now an IO loan and the full $250k interest component is tax deductible. You change your loan to one with an offset and whether you continue with an IO loan or convert to a P&I loan will depend on your own future goals and plans. You move the funds in her offset to your new offset against your home.

If you need clarification, please contact me. Well done for seeking further advice because most accountants have little or no idea.
    Good luck
    Greg

6. Pete Ramoza

Pete Ramoza Active Member

A friend of mine is in a similar position - you've answered my question before I had to ask it! Thanks!

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.