No more McMansions out here in the Hills :)

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 1st Jul, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Interesting article in today's SMH Domain section about the move away from the glut of project built McMansions out here in the Hills district, with more of an emphasis on designer homes. One example is a gorgeous architect designed modern glass no. on 4000sqm in the heart of Castle Hill (for sale at a mere $1.989mil) I wouldn't mind a block that big myself :)
    An upmarket building company, Sunland, also are finding more business out our way as cashed up executives bring their money out to the norwest region and get a lot more bang for their buck, as opposed to the North Shore.
    Only time will tell if the trend continues, but it looks set to continue as Baulkham Hills LGA is the second fastest growing area in Sydney (second behind the greater Western region) and is home to a whopping 30,000 businesses.

2. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

It sounds good on paper, but I think it's all relative. I guess it comes down to what you value and where you see the most value. For me, I'd much rather spend $2m on a 600sqm property in Cremorne, Neutral Bay, etc.

My main issue with living in the sticks and commuting is the time you lose. I lived in Syd for about 12 years and probably spent about 15% of my waking hours travelling. What price do you put on that? I think just standing on a packed train at 7am turns you into a zombie; what price do you put on the destruction of your soul? Ok maybe that's going a bit far. :p

Anyway, horses for courses. But bang for your buck is definitely relative to values.

3. johnnyb

johnnyb Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with this. Several years ago I would have done almost anything to avoid a long commute to work. Now though, with a young family a large house and yard which is close to good parks and has quiet places to go for a simple walk is what I want. We live in Hobart and could easily have afforded to live 5 minutes walk from the CBD and shopping strip (or at least what counts for the CBD here - not much compared to the big cities :) ). Instead we bought a much larger house in the 'burbs, with plenty of space for the kids to get up to mischief, about a 15 min drive to the city (which is a long commute by Tassie standards).

I don't know Sydney very well, but I think the Hills area would suit us at this time in our life. There's always time to move to Neutral Bay when the kids move out:eek:

John.

4. Jacque

By the time some people's children decide to shift, methinks a nursing home might be the more appropriate move :D ;)

5. johnnyb

johnnyb Well-Known Member

Mmmm, good point. Do you know of any bargain priced nursing homes around at the moment?

6. alexlee

alexlee New Member

7. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Brilliant looking house, but each to their own. If I had $2.5mil to throw at a home it wouldn't be near Baulkam Hills. I'd take Balmain East. But a little pad at Bondi wouldn't go astray either ;)

Ah, to dream.

8. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

And some stupid mug will probably pay that much too. I love the marketing:

"A home you deserve, to reward yourself as a symbol of your success.";

and how about:

"in close proximity to the Hillsong church"

Count me OUT!

MW

9. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

I guess if you had enough to spend $2m+ on a PPOR, then a more apt reward for your success would be something that takes you far away from the squalor of Sydney's 'burbs. I'm thinking maybe a chalet high up in the Swiss Alps or Canadian Rockies. Ok, back to reality and responsibility :rolleyes:

10. Qaz

Qaz Member

Depends on your priorities T.....

If your still wanting to run a business and get around, buying in the city may be the way to go.

11. Jacque

Horses for courses, people :)
    Beauty of us all being different is that we have access to so much choice.
    I wouldn't personally spend that amount on a house that's on barely 700sqm, as most of them are in that street, but then again some buyers may love the fact that the house is unique, large and ostentatious.
    Each to their own!

12. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I was at Homeworld on the weekend - first time I've been to a place like that - geez coming from an Inner West guy the houses there were huge. Too big for my requirements being a DINK. If I had a family of 5 it'd be a different story.

I notice that built-in wardrobes are out of fashion - now wardrobes are all walk-in. Plus the home theatre room, the snooker room, the three bathrooms...

Some of them I felt were pretty shoddy, and others really impressed me.

13. Jacque

I love WIR's as opposed to BIR's. I'm definitely getting one in my next home, even if it means Steve has to sleep outside :D ;)

I know what you mean about size, though. With formal loungerooms and dining rooms becoming obselete, however, games and theatre rooms seem to be the natural replacement in house plans now. The study is also a feature that never seemed to be around 20 yrs ago but is almost compulsory now. Changing times for sure.