No risk profit on 3 yr fixed rates?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by try anything once, 27th Apr, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. try anything once

try anything once Well-Known Member

I noticed in the paper this morning that it is possible to borrow money on a 3 yr fixed rate from Bank A and put it into a 3 yr term deposit at Bank B and actually make a profit!

Obviously I would not do it as the margin is slim and the borrowings would require equity tied up as collateral, but it is interesting to see that it is possible - I don't recall ever seeing that before....

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You'd also need to check fees - not just "headline" interest rates ... but I'm sure some form of arbitrage on interest rates is quite possible.

3. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi TAO,

This is right. Even an investment "bank" which doesn't have a banking license is offering 6% for 12 months as they need to give something extra as they aren't covered with the government guarantee. While the banks are increasing their fixed rate loans there may still be some RBA drops between now and the end of the year.

Cheers,

Dan

4. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

And ofcourse you'll pay tax on the small profit but it's an interesting thought...