Join our investing community

Not Yet Competent!

Discussion in 'Financial Planning Study Group' started by merlinnn, 24th Nov, 2009.

1. merlinnn

merlinnn Active Member

Hi Guys and Girls,

I just logged into the Kaplan sight today to see a rather depressing not yet competent next to my first assignment! I honestly thought I would actually pass it as, so much for confidence.:(

I was going to blame my wife and i having a baby half way through the module, but it's not really an excuse. I now have to wait until they send it back to see where I have gone wrong and hopefully get some decent feedback.

Has anyone else had this happen to them or I surrounded by competent students here?

Btw, it was the foundations of financial planning assignment

Cheers

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Merlinn,

Sorry to hear that, it is a bit of a knock to the confidence when you get a fail/non-competent mark. Don't stress over it too much, I've had a few in my time as well. As you said wait and see what they say, then re-submit to Kaplan.

Congratulations on your newborn!

Cheers,

Dan

3. merlinnn

merlinnn Active Member

Thanks for the support, I guess if anything it makes me more determined to pass now!

4. CJ. Wentworth

CJ. Wentworth Well-Known Member

I can relate. I failed my ELC assignment by 1/2 a point. If you haven't received your assignment back from grading yet, what you'll find is comments from them as to what you've missed.

ie, I failed to mention a strategy that included the sale of their PPOR (even though they didn't want to sell). On my second attempt I mentioned how they could sell the PPoR but recommended against it due to the client's wishes.

5. wallstreet

wallstreet New Member

merilinnn
    Try to follow what the examiner says regarding your assignment. I mean he is gonna tell you exactly which part you need to improve. If you follow what he says you will be OK.
    Wish you best of luck in your study and family.

6. merlinnn

merlinnn Active Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I got it in the mail today!

My SOA is fine, just little things in the assignment that haven't been explained in enough detail. Hopefully I can follow their advice accurately enough and get a pass.

I must admit self study is definately harder then uni, a tutor would be nice??? anyone???

Thanks again for your advice and support:)

Cheers

7. bowling2020

bowling2020 Bowling

Yeah, I can really relate to my first assignment submission of ELC as well, I failed by 1.5 points. But as mentioned aboved, as long as you follow their instructions on the exam feedback, you can't go wrong. Basically, you just have to follow all the bullet points stated on the question. I had to redo it and realised I didn't cover everything they asked for. So, am sure you will be fine.

Not sure about the tutor thing, as the reason why I chose Kaplan was because I have to work full-time, meaning I won't have much spare time left. Kaplan once called me to offer the workshop, but it costs the same amount I paid for the course, so I don't think it's worth it as I would have to go into the city and do the workshop.

Anyhow, I just finished my third subject on Superannuation and have one more course to go (Investment Planning1), so I think am not so far away from finishing up the diploma.

Good luck to everyone !

8. merlinnn

merlinnn Active Member

Logged onto today and saw the magic word competent! yay. All I can say is as that as already been stated here, just follow the feedback you recieve from Kaplan and re-address all the points they make and with a bit of luck you will pass!

Now onto studying for the exam, thanks for your support everyone and good luck to those who studying