Number of holdings in VEU are also in VGS?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Jay__, 2nd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jay__

Jay__ Member

I know Nestle SA, HSBC Holdings plc, Novartis, Roche Holding AG, Toyota Motor Corp., British America Tobacco plc and at least 20 others are in both VEU and VGS.

Does any know the total number of VEU holdings that are also in VGS?

Or alternatively, what percentage of VGS is made up of holdings that are also in VEU?

Thanks.

2 people like this.
  2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

VGS is a world index by cap minus AUS of about 1500 companies
    VEU is a world index by cap minus US (with greater depth from memory) of about 2500 companies

If you take the US companies out of VGS (about 60% by weight) then the remaining companies could be reasonably expected to appear in VEU.

So to answer the above, about 40% of the companies in VGS would be expected to appear in VEU.

The weighting of these similarities is going to be different.

Why do you ask?

4 people like this.
  3. Jay__

Jay__ Member

Thanks for that. Yes, I did not the similarities had different weightings.

I've just started to index (about 3-4 months). I've got 50/50 VAS/VGS atm. Trying to work out if I should also get VGE (in time). Rationale being, the more of VGE holdings being inside VGS, the less likely I would need/want to.

From my research, 3 of the top 10 VGE holdings isn't in VGS though, which i thought was strange (namely Tencent Holdings, Samsung Electronics and Taiwain Semiconductor Manufactring). I guess just different priority areas.

2 people like this.
  4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

VGS targets developed and VGE emerging markets, I am surprised there is any overlap, FTSE and MSCI must have some differences in how they class markets.

It is not an area I am familiar.

2 people like this.
  5. Jay__

Jay__ Member

Yeah, I was surprised too. That's why I was wondering if anyone knew the actual amount of overlap.

2 people like this.
  6. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

7. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

You were talking about VEU first and then VGE. Are you looking at one or both? Quite different markets and purposes

2 people like this.
  8. Jay__

Jay__ Member

Sorry, I did get mixed up a bit. I meant to ask about VGE all along.

2 people like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia