One in 10 rental properties unfit to live in

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Simon Hampel, 16th Apr, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/08/2867234.htm

2. KateMelb

KateMelb Active Member

As a landlord, this really annoys me. Bad landlords tarnish all landlords with the same brush.

Furthermore, tenants are entitled to the same level of respect and courtesy as property owners. It never ceases to amaze me how PMs can also be so rude and demeaning towards tenants for absolutely no reason.

I have multiple IPs but had cause to rent for a while not long ago. I was shocked at how rude the PM was. As soon as you'd announce yourself as a tenant, the enthusiasm would drain from their voice and they'd make you feel like they were doing you a favour taking your call! When it came to periodic inspections, they would strictly play by the formalities in the Act and send a letter with an appointed time (in the middle of a working day, of course, when they'd use their keys to intrude on your privacy and set off your dogs), rather than simply picking up the phone to make a mutually convenient inspection time.

I pride myself of being polite, friendly and respectful towards all my tenants. This doesn't mean being a push-over, rather it means using discretion to ensure tenants are happy, stay for the long-term and look after the place. Greed can easily cloud one's judgment - I learnt that the hard way in the past by overcharging and then the place was vacant for months, costing me far more than if I'd simply reduced the rent!

I DIY manage with Rentwise.