Join our investing community

One Sick Puppy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MrDarcy, 13th Jul, 2006.

1. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Well-Known Member

MrDarcy, the real Mr Darcy, is not a well doggy.

He is at the vets today for tests to see what is wrong and was placed on a drip. He was hasn't eaten or drunk for 2 days and is vomiting bile, but worst of all is so weak can hardly move, not even to wag a tail. It's just so sad. There go my Navra distributions in vet fees, but I'd give it all to have him back home and happy.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

2. Dr Lobster

Dr Lobster Well-Known Member

Hope it works out for you and Mr Darcy.

One of my dogs passed, Mr Willy ( believe it or not) a couple of months ago. I felt that was 4 years too soon, we rescued him from the pound, afew yrs later he developed cancer which we were able to have operated on, third time not so lucky. He was a top dog, we were very lucky to have him around while we did.

3. Tzaki

Tzaki Well-Known Member

I hope all goes well for Mr Darcey.

4. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

Oh, am so sorry to hear of Mr Darcy's illness. As a dog lover, I share your concern. Am praying that he will get the best vet care.

Not sure where you live, but if you live in Sydney it may be an idea to transfer him to the Vet Centre at Sydney Uni instead of leaving him in the local vet office. My beloved princess died a few years ago (and I have still not got over it - she was only 3.5 years old) in a vet's office because she was misdiagnosed and neglected. Local vets do not have all the knowledge to treat really sick animals.

When our other puppy got sick (because I overfed him with raw liver and he vomitted blood for 2 hours!), we took him to an emergency vet hospital at 2am. In the morning, we requested he be transferred to Sydney Uni Vet Centre - and he was there for 2 days before allowed to come home. Thankfully, we learned our lesson.

I do hope Mr Darcy will be OK.

5. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Best of luck Mr Darcy, man's best friend deserves a long and happy life.

6. MrDarcy

Hi Pthm,

Thanks for the good wishes. So far I am happy with this vet and am keeping in close contact. Initial blood tests show no problems and he has no fever. First xray showed no obstructions, now doing another with a trace and there may be a restriction after the stomach, waiting on results of next xray. We are all very stressed.

BTW, where in Sydney is the emergency vet hospital ?

7. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

The Sydney Uni Vet Centre is on Parramatta Rd - part of the Sydney Uni itself. If you come from the City, follow George St which becomes Broadway, past Central Station, then it becomes Parramatta Rd. At the junction of City Road to Newtown (do not turn left to City Road), continue along Parramatta Rd, keep middle lane as left lane is bus lane and will have to merge later. At the corner is the beginning of Sydney Uni. Continue straight along Parramatta Road, then as soon as you past the overhead pedestrian bridge crossing, keep on the left lane and very soon you will see the sign for the vet centre entrance - do not miss it. Drive straight to the car park for clients there. Sydney Uni is the only vet training centre in Sydney. All animals admitted are examined by professors (who trained the students). They only open Mon to Fri and Sat morning. Their tel number is 9351 3437. All after hours emergency must go to other vet hospitals, but you can ask to be transferred to Sydney Uni Vet when they open. Good Luck! Get well soon, Mr Darcy.

Here is the link to the Sydney Uni Vet Centre - check it out, http://www.vetsci.usyd.edu.au/sydneyclinic/ourclinic.shtml

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Jul, 2006
  8. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Hope Mr D is soon on the mend.

Cheers
    N.

9. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

All the best to MrDarcy MrD.....

10. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Another one is on the Hume Hwy at South Strathfield, a little west of Coronation Pde. Ph: 02 9758 8900. Open 24 hours.

11. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

That was where we took our Coco to when he vomitted blood at 2am. They gave him a drip, took some tests and kept him overnight. In the morning we asked for him to be transferred to the Uni Vet Centre at Sydney Uni. We were assured that the Uni Vet Centre sick animals would be under 24 hours observation. Whereas at the local vet, they closed down from 6pm to 8am - no one was there to check on sick animals overnight and that was the reason our beloved princess died for being neglected. It was a long story, if we could sue the vet we would.

12. MrDarcy

One Sad Puppy

It was visiting time today, MrDarcy was a little happier. And so was I after a cuddle and a little lick. X-rays so far have been inconclusive for any blockage in intestine. It may be infected bowels so he was given some drugs for this and another x-ray tomorrow again using barium(?) as a contrast enhancer for more detail. I think best give this a try before any surgery is planned. I also went poo hunting and captured his last escapee for some closer inspection by the vet (now that should make their bill seem worthwhile).

He's not watched all night, just sometimes I believe. I will check into this, thanks for the warning. It is a quiet and lonely house tonight without the little patter of claws on floorboards :(

The bandage on his leg is holding the IV drip in place.

Attached Files:

13. Tzaki

Tzaki Well-Known Member

Isn't it amazing the difference between the apparent thickness of a normal dog's leg and a bandaged one? Especially those with erm.. "puffy" fur?

Get well soon Mr Darcey!!

14. MrDarcy

Yes, looks like a peg leg doesn't it. I saw Darcy again today and he was much better. Not yet full bouncy mode, but looks like recovering. Vet said he even ate a little too. The test will be if he keeps that food down and passes it in the next 24 hours. We stil do not know what is the cause.

15. Dr Lobster

Dr Lobster Well-Known Member

I've got a whippet, wet or dry he looks the same !!!

Hope he's on the mend !!!

16. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

Mr Darcy looked so cute with bandage! When Coco was in the emergency vet hospital in Strathfield, they shaved his right front paw to insert the drip but he ripped it off. So they shaved his left front paw to re-insert the drip! argggggggggggh. When we picked him to take him to the Uni Vet Centre he looked like a shaved poodle - and he is a maltese x shihtzu. It took a while for his fur to grow back over his 2 front paws.

Glad to hear that Mr Darcy is better. Know what you meant by having a quiet and empty house - really not the same without a pet around. We think pets make a house a home.

17. MrDarcy

Darcy is back home now and very happy. Still not exactly sure what the problem was, or even that it is cured but it's nice to have him home again. Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

18. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

Great to hear that Mr Darcy is home! Hope he will be back to normal self soon. :)

19. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Hope Mr Darcy is on the mend - the last report sounds promising :)

Nothing worse than watching a dog suffer - trusting little fellas - they're still, in my experience, the only living being giving * completely * unconditional love and respect.

Here's to Mr Darcy bing back to his best v. soon ...

PS Oops I missed the post that said Mr Darcy is home now ! GREAT news :D

Last edited by a moderator: 17th Jul, 2006
  20. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Great to hear Mr Darcy is back to his ravishing best!