Open homes

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 13th Nov, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Did my yearly CPD training today at REINSW and heard another sad open home story. Apparently this gang of well dressed young men and women targeted a no. of expensive looking neighbourhoods one Saturday and went to work as a team, giving bogus names and details at each open. They then proceeded to rob the homes of small items such as CD's etc, with one fellow even managing to remove a plasma screen, totally undetected! One or two members kept the REA's busy with questions etc whilst the others took off with the loot.

Another example of absolute vigilance being the key should you decide to go down this path when selling your own home. The sooner compulsory ID checks are bought in as standard practice, the better!

2. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

That's terrible.

If i was selling my PPOR, i would think it would be wise to hang around during the inspection. Just act like another buyer and make sure the real estate agent doesn't acknowledge you as the owner. This way you can walk around and see what people are doing without being questioned or drawing attention.

Probably not as effective the bigger the house is, but for medium size homes it would be reasonable. At least watch the front door for exiting plasma screens :eek:

3. Jacque

I would fully intend to do this at my own place and, like you, Leandro, would use the opportunity to see what buyers really think of the property. Honest feedback goes a long way to improving a property for sale.

4. Wayne__

Wayne__ Member

Another Open home 'Horror story' and yet just looking through the paper there are more than 40 open homes today within 5KM of my own home.

When will people learn its not an effective way to sell a home ?

*shakes head in dismay*

5. Jacque

When:

1/ REA's refuse to have them as an option

2/ Vendors stop requesting them

As ineffective as they may well seem, let's not forget that there are buyers who prefer the convenience of purely holding opens (as well as tenants!) as a method of selling. In a boom market, they may well be the easiest way to actually sell a property.