Original bathrooms

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 21st May, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Lately I've been searching for a client in a particular suburb which has many original bathrooms from the late 60's early 70's era, and it's really interesting to see just how many have stood the test of time vs the late 80's and early 90's bathroom builds. The differences seem to mainly be in the stability of the wall tiling- the older bathrooms have a denser edge to the wall tiles and the shower stalls definitely have less leakage issues than their 80's and 90's counterparts.
    What I want to know from you bathroom experts is why? Did they use different methods in these years that obviously made the difference?
    Naturally, I like the colours of today's bathrooms better :D but my vote is that multi-patterned and grey and pink colour schemes are on the way in soon.... bit like the old mission brown becoming the new "mocha" or "chocolate"!!!

2. joanmc

joanmc Well-Known Member

:eek: mission brown is NOTHING like chocolate, one is old and outdated and the other is "fresh and New" LOL

I suspect it is because in the 70s you had tradesmen who took pride in their work, and now (like everything else) you have built in obsolecence(sp?).

So many houses went up that they were running through them as quickly as possible. We have a house that was built around 1983 and the there was no pipe between the bathtub plug hole and the floor waste it was meant to drain into:eek: same with the vanity. when you had a shower some water went down the hole the rest just ran around under the tub and seeped into the next bedroom! $2000 later- new bathroom.

3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hey Joan

I know what you mean about the 80's bathrooms. We've had issues with both houses of this era that we lived in and ended up having to waterproof and totally replace due to poor building practices.

Today I'd like to believe that builders take more care but time will tell in about a decade or two when the ceiling starts leaking on the ground floor :)

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Been there, done that in both of my townhouses :(

Water dripping down through light fittings from bothroom/laundry above :eek: