Managed Funds parking some money monthly

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by voigtstr, 1st Aug, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

crystal ball time...
    to accelerate some savings... would you be parking regular contributions in Navra Retail (direct), CFS geared (direct), or Platinum Asia (via etrade because their minimum contribution is to high)

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

With increasing volatility in the local markets I think CFS Geared is going to have a bumpy ride, however if you think there is still quite a bit of upside in the local market, then this will perhaps offer the best overall return opportunity.

Platinum Asia should continue to do well for the short to medium term - but Asia is a potentially fickle market, and troubles in the US might spook investors in Asia too - seeing a potentially large sell off. Although Platinum Asia continues to be a very strong performer recently (somewhat surprisingly actually !!), I have my doubts about how much longer it can last ? Difficult to tell. I'm still bullish on Asia for now - and will be increasing my exposure to Platinum Asia ... but mostly because it is the fund I have the least exposure to at the moment.

With increasing volatility in the local markets, I think the NavraInvest Australian funds should continue to generate excellent income flows - certainly higher than the 6%pa or so you could get from a high interest savings account. The risk is that we see the end of the bull run and your capital gets eroded as the market drops - but this is a risk with any fund and isn't unique to Navra.

I think an important factor in your decision would be the timeframe you have and what you want to do with your money. If you were investing for the long term you could wear some short term capital erosion, but if your goals were much shorter term, you would want to avoid this if at all possible.

If preserving your capital is ultra-critical (ie you are saving for a specific goal with a shorter term timeframe), I would say just stick with a high interest savings account - it's the only sure way to save your money and you know exactly what returns you will get (depending on interest rate movements - which are likely to be UP !!).

3. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

How long do you intend parking for?

Most people believe that MFs are not for short term investing.

4. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

correct.. if he has a time frame less than 12 months, he should stick to ING..

If he has a 5 year+ time frame, then he can begin a nice managed fund portfolio.

5. MiddleClassMonkey

MiddleClassMonkey Well-Known Member

I read that BankWest have also launched a product offering 8%pa - don't know details but you can google.

- MiddleClassMonkey

6. voigtstr

Time frame is actually open ended to some extent.
    Towards the end of 2008 we want to buy a new ppor, but will probably use a LOC on the villa unit for the purchase costs/deposit.
    Wife needs some cash put aside if we plan a pregnancy over the next 2 years, so 3-4k will get parked in ING to replace her income (combined with baby bonus) while she is off work for a few months.
    I basically want to get the investments happeneing that in future will cover IP shortfalls, and lead towards me not having to work at the end of another 11 years.

7. voigtstr

Advice given to me so far has been at this stage it wouldnt be worth using navra financial services. So what do I have to do to retire in 11 years on about 60k (current dollar value). I guess buy houses when equity allows, and invest into funds to help with ip shortfalls.
    What do I have to do to fine tune this process? And under what circumstances would people advise that I do use Navra Financial Services? after our house is a rental? Once I have X amount of dollars in funds?

Cheers
    Simon

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.