Join our investing community

Paying for forum membership

Discussion in 'Help & Feedback' started by Simon Hampel, 6th Jun, 2006.

?

How much would you pay for forum access (forum only - no other content included) ?

Poll closed 20th Jun, 2006.
  1. Nothing - I wouldn't join if it cost me to do so

27 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. I'd pay $20 per annum

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. I'd pay $50 per annum

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. I'd pay $100 per annum

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  5. I'd pay $200 per annum

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. I'd pay $500 per annum

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

As requested by one of our members - I thought I would post this poll about your preferences for a free forum versus paid membership.

Note that I am asking about paying for forum membership - not for other content or services.

2. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I clicked on $100 but then read that it wouldn't include non-forum content. Oops! In that case I'll select $0 and keep the Google ads.

3. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Well-Known Member

Ditto. It's got to be special to pay, and that was always supposed to include access to professionals, although I'm not too sure that is fully available.

4. Barracuda

Barracuda Active Member

Answering the question asked, for the forum alone with no additional or "premium" content - sorry, I can't say that I'd open my wallet for that. Not when there's a substitute product (or two) just a click away.

Just being honest.

Cheers,

Barracuda

5. Simon Hampel

Actually I could probably find you several dozen substitutes Barracuda :D

But I do think we are fairly unique in our topic coverage - most investment style forums out there tend to focus on one topic - eg Real Estate, Share Trading, etc.

Not many take a portfolio approach - covering all aspects of investing.

In particular, I haven't seen any good Australian discussion forums that cover managed funds.

6. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

For just a forum I'm not too concerned - maybe just $50 per year to keep the annoying posters out. BUT, if the site was going to have great content from Steve Navra as was originally promised, then I'm happy to pay the original amount.

7. Barracuda

Barracuda Active Member

Point taken. It is nice to read regular posts directly related to funds that your invested in - and share experiences with people using the same structures.

Cheers, Barracuda

8. Jenny

Jenny Well-Known Member

I've voted $50. I think that's fair for the forum in its present incarnation. But please don't ask me pay for extras during the year as we go along - leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I was at the hairdressers having foils (girls will understand) and my head in the basin, colour being washed and the hairdresser whispered in my ear would you like a colour fixer - only $12.00. I was really taken aback, said no thankyou very quickly. Did that mean my expensive foils would wash away at the first shampoo if I didn't purchase the undisclosed extra cost!!!

If people pay a membership (for anything - generalising here) it should be clear right at the start what this covers, i.e. half way through the year something else should not be tacked on for extra cost.

cheers
    Jenny

9. Simon Hampel

$50 to post on the forums, and $5 per post to not have them deleted ? Sounds good to me ! Protection money !! :D :D

10. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

I missed the not so fine print too about it only being the forum and not extra content. Basically I'll pay any amount as long as it's value for money. That's probably a bit vague, but I guess that puts the onus on the content developers. :)

11. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

My 20c:

Poll result :
    So far 19 people took notice of Sim's poll - which is very impressive indeed :eek:
    Still 13 days to go. If 10+ people vote per day, Sim will get 130+ new votes...

I wonder.... how this forum can maintain high standard having only 273 members where only few are making posts on the regular basis...

In this case only passive members will benefit, and I guess that one day active members may disappear from this forum all together.

To avoid this - we should forget for a while whether to pay or not to pay but concentrate on finding a lot of new members, with a different views, different level of expertise and experience.
    The uniqueness of this forum requires quality posts, interesting topics e.t.c..
    If one of the few, who can deliver this kind of posts is Steve, than he must be frequently present (with his posts) on this forum.

On the other hand......If Steve is too busy with his work, it would be a good idea to get a notes from his seminars or Audio tapes e.t.c. and present them on this forum? It should not be a problem as far as technicalities are concerned.

And yes ...... stirrers.........They should be treated as a local "folklore", as sometimes they are providing a lot of fun.
    :cool:

12. Simon Hampel

I agree totally that we should be concentrating on finding a lot of new members - I really want to learn from all the other investors out there who can, through simply sharing their own experiences, help others to learn.

I think we will all benefit from a larger membership base.

As for Steve ... he is by no means the only person who can deliver quality posts ... we've already demonstrated that - we have some excellent posters in our small membership already !!

But, we also already have some recordings of Steve's recent seminar in Sydney, and we intend to do more as well. Just don't hold your breath for them to be delivered soon - it takes a LOT of work to prepare such material for publication (especially since it wasn't designed for this format - and doesn't work terribly well as an audio-only presentation ... you miss all the visual parts from the seminar, and it is quite visual (lots of charts and diagrams).

We are in the process of splitting up the audio into more useful chunks, and will be supplementing parts of it with visual material as required.

13. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

But, we also already have some recordings of Steve's recent seminar in Sydney, and we intend to do more as well. Just don't hold your breath for them to be delivered soon - it takes a LOT of work to prepare such material for publication (especially since it wasn't designed for this format - and doesn't work terribly well as an audio-only presentation ... you miss all the visual parts from the seminar, and it is quite visual (lots of charts and diagrams).

We are in the process of splitting up the audio into more useful chunks, and will be supplementing parts of it with visual material as required.

Excellent news !! Take your time ! :D

14. Gonzo

Gonzo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay for forum membership with it's current traffic. If the members increased and the number of quality posts covering the whole spectrum of investment, I might be tempted to pay for it.

15. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I'm with Tropo on this one. I think at this stage its all about getting new members. Sometimes I log on and find no new posts after being offline for hours. I think the fee idea will eventually cripple the forum regardless of the quality of the content.

MJK

16. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Given the nature of the internet ( so much good free stuff around ) , you will always stuggle to get the volume of people with a pay service.

The only possible way is to build up a very strong service and then add an "extra " for which people are prepared to pay and even that probably won't work .

Stock Central was a very strong site several years ago , and the attempt to spin off a pay site resulted in crippling the initial site ( now defunct ) so the site which was feeding into the pay site was no longer acting as a feeder.

The main contributors there ( eg Tech A ) were disillusioned at the attempt to build a fee service that was piggy backing on their contributions and moved elsewhere .

See Change

17. Qaz

Qaz Active Member

I think I said this to Sim a while ago at one of Navra's courses.

I think they should look at getting ahold of up to date and historic real estate statistics (past sales, median prices, etc, etc) and charge for those instead.

18. APerry

APerry Active Member

I did some consulting work for a US site a few years ago, who were thinking of coming to Australia. They started with free forums and then switched to user pays. They obviously lost some members, but their membership is still huge and they are a lot more profitable. I think it comes down to what drives the boards, and in this case the company spends a lot of resources driving discussion and keeping things lively.

Personally, I have no interest in paying to be part of a forum. However, I think that it is possible to run a viable user pays forum if you can show users that they are getting some value added above what is offerred in free forums.

Regards
    Alistair Perry