Paying rent - out of savings, or on credit card?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by mustgroove, 3rd Mar, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mustgroove

mustgroove Member

Bit of a simple query here... Here's my situation:

- I pay rent fortnightly
    - I have a credit card with a 55-day interest-free period... I use it for pretty much all my living expenses, and pay off the entire closing balance each month so I'm never paying interest...
    - I have a bunch of savings in Ubank.

In order to maximise the interest earned on the Ubank savings, would it better to:

1) Put rent on the credit card along with other living expenses, and then pay it off monthly as usual; or

2) Schedule a fortnightly internet transfer directly from Ubank to the landlord?

Seems to me that 1) would be better because that way the rent money stays in the account (earning interest) for longer... or is it really much over muchness?

2. ashes

ashes Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what additional cost the landlord changes for credit cards. My real estate office, changes 3%, which is not worth it.

I get 0.8% interest (55days @ 5.72%pa) and 0.5% in reward points (cash vouchers etc.), so unless I can get the credit card change less the 1.5% it is not worth it.

3. mustgroove

mustgroove Member

Hmmm the surcharge issue was something I hadn't considered... my landlord uses the DEFT system (DEFT) and I've just checked - there's a 1.5% surcharge on Visa payments...

Fortnightly bank transfer it is :)

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I came to pretty much the same conclusion when I investigated the option of paying rent via credit card - really not worth it.