Join our investing community

PayPal payment system EBAY

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jenny, 17th Jul, 2006.

1. Jenny

Jenny Well-Known Member

Hello

Has anyone had experience with this system for payment on ebay - is it considered safe??

Jenny

2. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

Hi Jenny

My wife uses it all the time and prefers it to direct bank deposits. Certainly we have found it safe and have only had one problem and that was were the payment came off our credit card but did not reach the seller because of a problem on their side. We were able to cancel the payment on Paypal which recredited the money to our credit card and then make the payment later when the problem was fixed.

cheers
    Gazza

3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Jenny,

I bought few things on ebay in the past paying between $50-$2,500 and never had problems.
    I did not make any payments through the ebay site. I always made payments directly to sellers' bank accounts.
    I used PayPal as well and never had any problems. It is easy and very convenient.
    Make sure that you use trusted sellers and always check feedback for them.
    :p

Last edited by a moderator: 17th Jul, 2006
  4. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

I use Paypal whenever it is available to buy on eBay - Payment is immediate to the seller so the items can be mailed off fast. Often a internet banking transfer takes 2-3 days to clear and adds time.

I also sell a fair bit on eBay. I do not offer Paypal as the fees are a bit rich and cut into my margin. But if I had a higher margin product I would consider using it but I must wonder whether Paypal will get me more bids and hence pay for itself - I think not at this stage.

I have never heard of anyone saying they have had a problem with Paypal. Enterprises like this need to have security to be of paramount importance or they will lose so much custom. I think Paypal is one of the safer means of payment available online.

If buying from OS I need to pay $28 per Telegraphic Transfer and wait 2-3 days for it to be completed. If my Chinese suppliers would only use Paypal then I would save this and my payments would be confirmed by email from Paypal immediately. The only thing stopping them is the fee they tell me ....

I think if you have made the decision to buy through eBay then using Paypal is not a big deal.

Cheers,

5. Jenny

Jenny Well-Known Member

Thanks simon troppo gazza

My son purchased a nokia cable thing .99c, postage 7.98.

How can people make a profit by doing this?

Cheers
    Jenny

6. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

I don't know. I imagine the postage would be closer to $4 so he prob made $4.50 on a cable costing $0.50

I wouldn't run a business for those returns even if I got the cable for free....

is it a seller who sells a lot of them or just someone getting rid of stuff they dont want?

7. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

Jenny

what some people do is sell the item for a low price but pump this price of the postage up. Not sure but I think this way they pay less commission to Ebay and actually make more money.

Gazza

8. Rodge

Rodge Member

yep my wife uses it too - no issues, in fact if there are they sought them out. I know people who are making some "megre" money trading on ebay using paypal - they swear by it.

Roger