Performance of Accountants

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Wanderwoman, 16th Nov, 2011.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Wanderwoman

Wanderwoman New Member

I am retired, own two investment houses in addition to my own home, and an uncomplicated portfolio of shares for my SMSF, impeccable records for all of which I maintain with dividers in arch lever files with accompanying summary spreadsheets, Minutes etc. Four years ago I gave up on my former accountant because it was clear all the work was done by very junior employees, who drove me mad with idiotic questions which were all answered in the files provided. The costs to do the tax and SMSF returns were climbing each year. When I appointed another accountant, which was a smaller company priding itself on its personal service, I stressed my most vital requirement was communication in reply to any emails or phone calls, in addition of course to their skills in preparing my returns. I am tearing my hair out!! Every year their service has slipped lower. I delivered the files 3 months ago, have sent 6 emails and left 4 phone messages, have had one phone reply 2 weeks ago promising a timeframe my returns would be completed and an answer to an important query by email the next day. Am I expecting too much? Can anyone recommend a competent, communicative, client focused accountant in Brisbane? I'm not looking for fancy offshore tax havens, I don't deliver a shoebox of receipts, don't ask for curly financial planning advice ... and I hate turning into a shrew!!

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Hi WW

I have experienced similar in the past. One tax return took 9months to be completed.

May I ask what they are charging you?

3. Wanderwoman

Wanderwoman New Member

Hi Terryw
    Their fee fluctuates but just under $3000 last year. Admittedly that is about $1000 less than the previous accountant, but I have been tweaking my reports, spreadsheets, record keeping each year and the current accountant has said he wishes I could train his other clients! The 9 month wait you experience would have me banging the wall with my head! Cheers WW