Join our investing community

Personal Data on web

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Punter, 12th Sep, 2008.

1. Punter

Punter Punter

I wish to hold some personal data on web such that I can access it from anywhere once I am online. I also want some level of security of the data.

With one account fraud in my internet bank account, I am cautious (or should I say nervous) to do so.

I know nothing comes free so am ready to consider some payment.

Any experience in the forum?

Rgds

Punter

2. myarhidia

myarhidia Member

What kind of data are you talking about?
    How do you want to access it?

Personally, I would say the safest option is an encrypted USB stick if it's only you that needs access to it.

3. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

My solution for managing passwords for many different accounts is to store them on a pda/phone. The pda itself is secured with a strong password (upper case, lower case, numbers and special characters)(its also a pain tapping that password onto the phone every time you want to do anything other than answer a phone call, but thats the trade off for the extra security)

As long as I have my phone on me, I have my password list.

4. Punter

Punter Punter

Thanks.

It takes time to adjust to technology.

I think, having a thumb drive is easy, convenient and secure way for sensitive data .. it was obvious but it did not occure to me till I read these replies here.

Rgds

5. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Punter,

I'd agree that either a phone/pda or USB stick is the best way.

Just make sure you also keep your list just on your pc/laptop, either encrypted or change the file extension ;) as memory sticks can be lost, broken, etc (even washed if in your pockets).

Cheers,

Dan

6. Waimate01

Waimate01 Well-Known Member

Google Docs

The other very useful way to store simple info such that you have access to it just about anywhere is via Google Docs.

The implementation of the security is, of course, out of your hands. But security through obscurity works pretty well, so put as much confidential info as you like but do not include your name or address or anything else which is 'real', including your real primary email address.

You still need to back it up somewhere, but with Google Docs you can access it from anywhere with access to the net, and it even gives you versioning.

7. stornoway

stornoway Member

is google docs like an online office package?

8. Waimate01

Waimate01 Well-Known Member

Yep, a basic word processor and spreadsheet. You can import existing Office documents into it with a reasonable degree of success.

It offers a couple of nice features:

1. Access anywhere (of course)

2. Built-in versioning, so if you want to see what your spreadsheet looked like last week, it's still there for you

3. Easy sharing - you can publish selected files so others can view them

4. Real-time collaboration - you can allow selected people to edit selected files, and they can even do so simultaneously and the changes will reflect on the other editors screens.

Nowhere near as powerful as Office, but does include some surprising things such as charting.

9. stornoway

stornoway Member

thanks for the detailed response, waimate!