Personal Tax question - contracted to the UN

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by shrek__, 28th Jun, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shrek__

shrek__ Member

Hi Team

I am considering taking up a position with the United Nations but have some questions around personal tax rulings. I will be employed (paid) from a external company contracted to the UN but working in a hostile area in Africa. Contract length is 18 months will payment being made monthly in to a dubai bank account.

I am aware of the following ATO ruling but want to ensure it applies even to a contracted company by the UN Working overseas as an official with an international organisation

I will be for all aspects of the role employed and acting on offical UN business but payment comes from company who has won the contract.

Does this still remain tax free, I want to make sure legally I dont have any tax bills to pay as I am sick of paying $100k plus in tax each year.

Cheers

2. Jenni__

Jenni__ Active Member

See warning on the link you gave. The rules are changing for exempt foreign income as a result of the budget. I'd be talking to the ATO to make sure it is exempt.

3. shrek__

shrek__ Member

thanks for the reply

I thought it was taxable if it was a pension but not a income as a officer of a allowed organistion.

If the tax office change this it will suck ,most of is willing to work in high risk enviroments (combat zones) do so for the extra cash ($250k plus tax free) but dont expect the goverment to then tax me on it espically when i am not in the country for 12 months at a time......

KRUDD is killing us, I will call the tax office to clarify further.

Cheers

4. Superman__

Superman__ Well-Known Member

I looked at this the other day as I have a handful of expat clients.

This is from the Treasury Press release and I believe change of law was part of the last budget legislation (which I think has passed):

Press Release - Better Targeting the Income Tax Exemption for Australians Working Overseas [12/05/2009]

Under the new measures announced today, the Government will amend the general exemption to provide a better targeted exemption which is only available for income earned:

* as an aid or charitable worker employed by a recognised non-government organisation; or
    * as a government aid worker; or
    * as a specified government employee (for example, defence and police force personnel deployed overseas).

Further, income earned by an individual employed on an overseas project approved by the Minister for Trade as being in the national interest will remain exempt, as provided for by existing rules.

Hopefully your employment can fall under one of the above categories - and if not see if you can get a contract directly with the UN, or some other means to MAKE you fit into one of these categories.

And yes, KRUDD and SWANNY are killing us! :cool: