Peter Spann "Cash Flow Workshop"

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by TwoDogs, 7th Apr, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

Anyone know what this is about. Ad was also in last weeks SMH. For $48 I can find the money, finding the time is hard bit :(

2. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

Check out the somersoft forum thread on this as it contains ALL the details...

3. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

Thanks, it's very positive thread on Somersoft

4. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Personally I've never heard Peter speak, but from some of the stuff I've read previously I'd be surprised if I didn't get something out of the 3 hours.

If I'm in town that weekend I may well attend.

5. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Despite all the terrible US type marketing hype that surrounds his seminars and products, I like Peter Spann. His talks are informative and entertaining, what he says about property makes sense and he is very affable. I've seen him speak quite a few times now and he really has a gift for getting people motivated and off into action. For $48 what have you got to lose?

Don't ask me about his PDS, though, as I don't know anything about it. Quite happy to continue doing our own share and funds investing at this stage.

6. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

I went to school with Peter. From the point of view of overcoming adversity and some fairly significant obstacles, he is definitely speaking with authority. Probably helps put passion in his presentation.

Good on him.

The thing I don't get with Somersoft forum is Peter Spann says "water is wet and I will tell all at a seminar" and everyone goes "ooh ahh - genius - here's my $49".

Steve Navra suggests you can live on equity and sets out a sound strategy free-of-charge, and gets clubbed like a harp seal, and accused of being Adolf Hitler's evil twin.

It is a very very strange world in investor land, from my way of thinking.

... I'll keep watching with interest and impunity.

:)

7. Soy

Soy Well-Known Member

I believe it is free for SS-mites.

8. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Hey Carl, while I agree - to a point - with your assessment of the way Steve is ahhhh.... treated these days on Somersoft, I feel your comparing him with being treated like the next Hitler is a little extreme.

Let me explain.

Steve has been (was) a very prominent member of SS for a very long time and was quite open and vocal about his way of investing. He came across as being very passionate about his structure and while some may write it off as being because he was trying to sell seminars, I feel that point of view is ridiculous at best. Why? Because I know - and have known - Steve personally for a number of years now and feel I have a good idea of the kind of person he is.

Now, some (or most) people might be thinking 'Pfffft, you work for the guy, of course you're going to stand up for him' well, that is not the case. In a nutshell, I went to one of Steve's first seminars in Melbourne and thought 'Hey, this sounds pretty good'. Met with Steve for my evaluation and he told me straight out - you don't need my help just now, just kep saving and come and see me when you get to point x'.

Okay, went away, kept saving and continued to meet with Steve whenever he came down to Melbourne just to catch up and say hello. After a few of those meetings, it began to dawn on me that he was someone that I could learn a lot from - not just financially, but as a person.

Just as an aside, the only 'high profile' person on SS other than Steve that I've met who has left that impression on me so far is Michael Yardney. Note that I said 'high profile', I've met many many people from SS who are really awesome people but anyway.

So after having spent time with Steve and gotten to know him as a person, it was only then that I asked him if I could come and work for him as I felt that not only could I work in an industry taht I truly wanted to be in, but also had the opportunity to work for someone whom I truly respected and felt could teach me a lot.

He told me 'get your qualifications and you can come work for me'. Stoked! Later on he told me that he gets many people asking him for a job, but he decided to give me a go because he believed in me as a person and felt I had a lot to offer in the field. To this day, I still remember that moment like it happened yesterday.

So going back to the original issue, Carl I felt a little offended by your comparing Steve to Adolf Hitler's evil twin for this reason: While I understand your frustration at *certain* people on SS and their attitude towards Steve, the comparison to Steve to being 'Hitler's evil twin' really irked me.

My grandparents were sent o a forced labour camp by the Nazi's in WW2 and the bandying around of the words 'nazi' and 'Hitler' as they are today kinda **** me off a lot. Like I said earlier, I understand your frustration at certain people's attitudes, but to claim that they see Steve as 'Hitler's evil twin' is really not cool, hey.

Note: I am NOT looking for an apology or back step here. I just wanted to point out that using such language... while not being 'offensive' per se - hey it's not the 'offensive' that gets me, I've been 'offensive' more times than I can count on SS - it's the casual use of comparisons between one of humanity's most evil creations and people's personal opinions of one of our forum members that gets to me.

Carl, love ya mate, you're an awesome bloke and I look forward to getting to know you better over time, but please - and this goes for everyone - please think seriously about using such analogies.

Mark

9. TryHard

Point taken mate - apologies for the poor choice of words. My point was (as you say - 'some' - but some extremely vocal and apparently influential) members of the somersoft forum appear to believe Steve is solely motivated by commercial greed, which you and I know is not the case, while other advisors/salespeople in similar situations are glorified in comparison. Anyway, negative energy goes nowhere so I'm going to get the bee out of my bonnet and leave the S'Soft thing alone. I was surprised Steve went back there and posted ads about his upcoming seminars. Red rag to a bull if you ask me.
    Have a great Easter.
    Carl

10. talbashan

talbashan Well-Known Member

mark,
    i see your point about analogies to the third reich.. but being fairly new to this i got a bit confused when you mentioned steve's membership in the SS...
    perhaps this is one forum name that does not lend itself to acronyms.. :)
    tal

11. TryHard

I was gonna mention that but I thought it might be disrespectful - it is ironic you have to admit ;-)

12. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

On a lighter note, I'm going to see Peter Spann for the first time next week. I'm not sure what to expect, but we'll see. If Steve came to CBR, I'm sure we'd greet him with open arms too. :)

I went to Yardney's seminar only last week (CBR too) and that was pretty good. A lot of his book was repeated, but it was worth it nonetheless.

Has anyone here (or anyone know of anyone else) who has attended Yardney's in-depth workshop? I think he calls it the real world workshop. I know it's a lot of $$$, but he says there's a focus on development. If I can just learn enough to be more confident in doing a development, then it would probably be worth it.

13. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Doesn't he offer a money back deal if you do a development through his company?

14. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

We attended Michael Yardney's real world real estate workshop last June. We were going to do a development with his company but did not proceed for various reasons. The workshop was educational and good. The emphasis of course was on the development. So, you are right that if you want do a development then it would be very worthwhile.

15. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply pthm. Do you mind me asking why you didn't go ahead with the development? Was it to do with the company? Also, was the workshop educational beyond the usual points such as leverage, compounding, LOE, etc? Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks

16. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

There were a number of reasons why we did not proceed with the development with Michael Yardney's company - some were personal and some were that the numbers did not stack up for us. We actually told Michael and his people this and they accepted our decision. We don't have the guts to go through with it as we are both worriers! I know Michael said his company will look after everything (of course, for a fee) but I am a control freak and I did not think I could cope with not knowing what's happening with the process from a distance. It is ridiculous, but that's what I am so cannot change that. Michael's company sent us the analysis, we went through them carefully and decided that there were some risks which we were not prepared to take - many whatifs. I guess each to his own, but we were happy that we did not go down the development route (the hassles would be too much for me to bear). Instead, we bought a relatively new and established property. If you like, I can send you a pm with more details.

17. Tom&Don

Tom&Don Active Member

Question to pthm: What did you get out of the Yardney Development workshop/seminar??

How do you intend to use it going forward?

Are there any major pearls of wisdom that you picked up from the seminar/workshop that are not necessarily mainstream, yet you thought "WOW" at the time you heard it??

Cheers,
    Tom.

18. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

Hi Tom

Good questions! I went to the workshop with hubby. We had signed up to do the property development before we went to the workshop - our aim was to gain some insights into the development process. After the workshop we decided that we did not want to proceed with the development - reasons as stated above.

The workshop was very intensive and the handout materials were very comprehensive. I must say Michael Yardney put a lot of effort into the manuals. The whole workshop was also recorded and Michael sent everyone a copy of the CD - just in case we wanted to listen to something again, if we had missed it. He also emailed out a lot of reference materials after the workshop and I have found some very interesting reading.

Personally I found the workshop enhanced my knowledge of property investments - I have learned a lot from the Somersoft forum and the workshop materials just reinforced what I knew. However, for hubby who never lurks in any forum - he thought it was good overall and said he picked up a few good tips on auctions and taxes. Michael Yardney was the main speaker, but there were other speakers such as Rob Balanda (on contract clauses) and Dale GG (on accounting & taxes) - who went through some case studies which were useful.

Since the workshop we have used some of the tips to deal with real estate agents and learn how to negotiate on prices - we have bought 2 established properties. We have now completed our property portfolio.

For us, nothing really stood out as "WOW!" (except the bidding tactics at auctions) because we have already started our journey in property investments a few years back. We have got a trust structure in place. So, I guess you can say that we have advanced a bit more than some people at the workshop. I spoke to a number of attendees at the workshop (from Vic, NSW, Qld and ACT) - some are "seasoned" investors (owning many properties) who came along to refresh; others are novice so found the workshop to be full of useful ideas; some are in the middle like us - who were curious to see what the workshop was about!

Hope I answer your questions. Sorry I am not too specific.

19. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

20. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

pthm: sorry to keep pushing the friendship :) but do you think the property development side of the workshop was good? If you were to decide to develop yourself, would you feel comfortable now to undertake the project management yourself?

Many thanks for previous info too! :D