Join our investing community

QLD Peter Thornhill talk in Brisbane 8th April

Discussion in 'Networking & Meetups' started by Gockie, 16th Mar, 2017.

1. Gockie

Gockie Member

Hi Everybody,
    The brilliant Peter Thornhill (author of the book "Motivated Money") who is well loved.... nay.... considered a God from the PropertyChat Forum will be doing a talk on the 8th April at the Ibis Styles Hotel in Brisbane (40 Elizabeth St).
    It is a great day and Peter will take everybody on a journey on why investing in shares (namely, industrial stocks) are a great long term investment. There is a $410 charge though for the day but it's really worth the money. He has a great style and is a brilliant educator.

He doesn't usually speak in Brisbane, so this is your chance!!
    Link the the tickets here.... and while I get some money from hosting it, it's really not my main driver to do this. In fact, I could possibly lose big sums of money if the event is not successful. I just want to spread the word..... Also tickets are limited too.

Investing for Long Term Gain Presented By Peter Thornhill

By the way, food is included. :)

2. KayTea

KayTea Member

I hope people take advantage of this @Gockie. I'm already excited

I had considered travelling to Sydney to see him later in the year (by the time flights were factored in, it was going to be an expensive day out). Having him come to Brisbane is fantastic.

Gockie likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Member

Definitely worth listening to! It's a one off event, miss this opportunity and yes, you'd most probably have to travel interstate to hear him!

4. KayTea

KayTea Member

I can't believe how oblivious some people are to being in a position to help themselves get ahead.

When I mentioned this workshop to the people I work with, many were of the opinion "oh, I can't afford that" (but I know what they get paid, so in reality, for most of them it may have just meant being a bit tighter with their discretionary spending over a couple of weeks in order to buy a ticket). In reality, this isn't a huge amount to spend when you think about how much you can make, if you have a financial and investment strategy in place.

These are the same people that constantly complain that they struggle financially, and then they tell me that they admire how I've managed to make such progress over the past few years (mainly on a single income, and as a sole parent).

I would have thought they'd connect the dots - yes, I've gotten ahead, because I've made the time to educate myself, and work out a strategy. If they were willing to do the same, they could have the same results. But, honestly, I think they'd rather just complain about how tough they've got it.

I'll be very interested to see if any of my colleagues happen to show up on the day. :rolleyes:

5. Gockie

Gockie Member

I'm going to guess... Maybe not? I only went because one Propertychat member I know well (and I've got as a Facebook friend) suggested to go, then while at a PC meetup another PC member who I also know quite well also talked about shares and she said it was better than having her money in her offset... Having put significant money where her mouth is, I decided to attend the day. And I'm very happy I did. :D

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

It's mostly about comfort zones and biases.

Some people see investing as too risky - everyone has an anecdote about someone who invested and lost money.

Some people see investing as being greedy - they grew up having very little and resent those who do have money - and they don't want to risk becoming "those people". Sometimes this is a subconscious thing too - self-destructive tendencies because they are afraid or ashamed of money.

This is kind of related to the whole "money is the root of all evil" mentality too (which kind of misses the key words "the love of money is the root of all evil" ... aka greed).

Providing for yourself and your family in retirement is not greedy - it's actually better for everyone if you do this so that tax money can be better spent on those who genuinely need it.

There is also the welfare mentality - why work for something when the government will just give you handouts. You wouldn't believe how many people actually resent getting a pay rise because it reduces the amount of benefits they get paid from the government!

At the end of the day - if they aren't in the right place mentally or emotionally to be investing - then there's not much that can be done. Because investing is hard and requires effort and sacrifice - and many people are simply not prepared to do the work or give up their time or money to learn and invest. You can't force it - they have to be ready.

KayTea, Gockie and austing like this.