Petrol station behind the house?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by wll6568, 26th Sep, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wll6568

wll6568 Member

I am looking at a block of land with a very old building content, as investment purpose. It's all great with all land size, location, close to shops, etc. But one thing I am not sure is behind the house there is a BP petrol station. Is this generally nevermind for australian or could this affect the growth potential? I am not sure, because in my country people never want a house close to petrol station. But I heard aussies don't care?

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Wll,

I used to live next to a petrol station, it was great for getting petrol. Never smelt any fumes though you would want to check it out yourself. Depending on when it closes each night they also used to let off pressure from the pump which made a very loud hissing noise for about two or three minutes every night. Naturally if it's open 24 hours you wouldn't have this issue.

Cheers,

Dan

3. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

Are there any contamination issues to the land you are interested in from leaking fuel tanks

4. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

depending on the proximity to the pumps and on wind direction etc you could get petrol smells. I'd check it out.
    On the positive side, the convenience store could be handy and you'll never run out of milk....