Picks For Positively Geared Property

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by James_w, 15th Feb, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. James_w

James_w Well-Known Member

I am currently researching for positively geared property in queensland

so far I have these suburbs under my radar:

rockhampton
    aldershot
    torbanlea
    howard
    blackwater
    emerald
    dysart
    middlemount
    stanwell
    hervey bay
    mount morgan
    dalby
    dirrinbandi
    capella

My 2 favorite are Aldershot and Stanwell,
    becuase both sit about 5mins from large regional city's
    (rockhampton/maryborough)
    Both also have potentiol for more employment with mining projects.
    Houses under 200k aldershot does not have a lot of land atm
    Both areas you can buy blocks around $50,000.
    Both are a short drive to the coast stanwell 45mins to Yeppoon
    and Aldershot 20mins from Toogoom.

If you have more areas in qld or another state please ad them would also be good to hear your favorite areas and why.

2. Michael Ord

Michael Ord Mr

Go see them first!!!!

Hi James, I suggest you have a good look, get in a car and go see Aldershot, Howard, Torbanlea etc before jumping in and buying. The new mine that every Realestate agent up here wants to use as a selling point may employ 90 people if you do some research and read the newspaper articles, eg. Maybe check out The Chronicle. Secondly the proposed Coal Mine is situated so close to Maryborough that staff are likely to locate in or will already be from those areas, or Hervey Bay/Toogoom as they actually have facilities, beaches, shops, schools and transport. Aldershot is most likely to attract renters that wish to visit their partners across the road at the large maximum security Jail, no disrespect to the locals. Check your ABS numbers and this should indicate to you that the lowest socio-economic area in all of Austalia is this general area and unemployment is running at 16%. The property Spruickers and "Dodgy Sports Heros"did the big Pitch on Toogoom down the road introducing a Glut of property and land that is yet to be taken up. Every 3rd home is for sale and their has been no real increase in value of property over the 4 years since I moved here. 2 Very Large Exclusive Properties have recently changed hands in the general area, make sure you take that into consideration on any recent capital growth numbers you are looking at. I am not being negative just realistic, understand the environment behind the numbers. Happy Property Hunting

3. James_w

James_w Well-Known Member

sorry to disagree but I have lived in aldershot I currently live in toogoom aldershot is closer to the mine then maryborough 3klms towards the torbanlea side of aldershot theres also some small drilling going on near toogoom.
    when I lived in aldershot people I met were retirees renters and workers in maryborough or could not afford the beachside homes aldershot had a bad name for quite awhile now there has been a shift in that particalur market and it's not if inside 12months the mines going ahead and has found more coal and will employ quite a few employees as written in the fraser coast chronicle recently.
    alot of people in maryborough would rather live in aldershot the homes are newer the blocks are bigger the crime is less and it's 5mins out same as when I was in stanwell compared to rockhampton having bought and sold in alderhsot in 2007 it took 2 and a half weeks first contract fell over second went through within a day or so of the first falling over.

I still think alot of the fulltime employees will buy in toogoom don't get stats mixed with the GFC which affected everywhere river heads grew by 43.1 percent which is not much of a difference to hervey bay in distance compared to toogoom except toogoom you can actually walk on the beach and enjoy it not just look at it.
    rpc debacle didnt help things though and I know of quite a few properties that have sold that are still listed on realestate australia in toogoom itself and also people not realising it is 12minutes to hervey bay:rolleyes:

I walk a few hundred metres I'm at the beach out the front door transport to hervey bay every day except sunday shops are not far either.

with that being said toogoom will pickup again in the near future everytime I have a mate from cq who goes to yeppoon quite often and sees the house prices here and hervey bay itself has commented that's cheap for what you get here and many would love to retire here or at least have a holiday home.

most workers will be skilled from out west etc except for the initial building stage of the site.

4. Michael Ord

Michael Ord Mr

Thanks for the reply

Hi James.
    Sorry I missed your reply, I have just been at that great beach you mentioned. I suspect we are neighbours as I to am in Toogoom, Kingfisher Pde, you may know it.
    RPC and friends do have a lot to answer for. I do hope the market picks up around here, personally it is not an issue for me. I would love to give you the opportunity to educate me on the numbers. If you are interested you can grab my card at the Salty Squid cafe, just ask Ross, call me and we can discuss it. Coffee's on me at the Squid.

Regards

5. Waimate01

Waimate01 Well-Known Member

I'm a much bigger fan of making money than losing money, so generally I think positive gearing has a bunch of advantages over negative gearing, but in entering the sort of markets you mention, it's worth being aware that capital growth is likely to be sluggish.

Case in point - I've owned an IP in Hervey Bay for 25 years (2BR flat across the road from the beach with views). In those 25 years, the population of Hervey Bay has doubled, Kingfisher Bay resort was built, Peppers built a resort, and direct flights from Sydney were introduced. Hervey Bay blossomed and grew, and changed from a sleepy bayside retirement village to a go-ahead community with lots of young people and many more shops and supermarkets than ever before.

Also in those 25 years, the value of my property pretty much doubled. The stock market went up five times, and the Sydney median property price went up five times. Sunshine coast councils are legendary for their inefficiency, and Hervey Bay Council holds up this tradition with pride -- I pay more in rates for my humble IP in HVB than I do for my PPOR in North Sydney, even though one is worth ten times more than the other. The effect on rental income is dire.

So for me it's been a pretty dud investment - the sort of thing you keep in the drawer and try not to think about while it pretty much takes care of itself, in the hope that one day something good will happen. I should probably flick it and put the money somewhere useful, but I'll probably just leave it in the drawer.

6. Alaister

Alaister New Member

that's a good list of suburbs where you can find positive geared property in QLD.
    Check out Positive Gearing Property
    You can find high rental yield properties from all over Australia:)