Join our investing community

Pinnacle Diploma

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by MI$H, 17th Nov, 2008.

1. MI$H

MI$H Member

Hi all,
    I have been reading some recent forums regarding entering the financial planning industry.

I have been looking into completing my Diploma through Pinnacle.
    Does anyone have any feedback on this company :confused:

I am really keen to gain employment as a paraplanner and then work my way up the ladder to financial planner.

Would there be other courses I should look at in order to gain a position as a paraplanner besides the Diploma of Financial Planning.

Thanks.

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Mi$h,

If you want to have a fair chance I'd be sticking with the main course provider Kaplan. I'd also stay away from anyone that refers to the course as PS146 as it shows they are not in touch with the industry as it is now referred to as RG146 for over good year and a half.

Stick with Kaplan as it very well known in the industry (yes it is a couple hundred $$$ extra but no one in the industry will ask you who they are) and after a few subjects you should be able to get a job (double check this on seek.com.au).

The course your looking at is the Diploma in Financial Services (Financial Planning) not a Diploma in Financial Planning. DFP is a pre-2004 course DFS is the post-2003. Also DFP was only offered through the FPA as the course was owned by them. DFS is an AQF pathway so any training organisation can offer it.

Looking for a paraplanning job, the Diploma in Financial Services (Financial Planning) is the right course to be doing.

Cheers,

Dan

3. MI$H

MI$H Member

Thanks Dan,
    I appreciate your fast reply. I am feeling a lot more confident in my decision now. It was a toss up between Kaplan and Pinnacle. But if Pinnacle is not well know in the industry it would be a mistake to undertake that particular course.
    Do you work for Kaplan?? Just checking!

But thanks very much for your input and hopefully you will hear from me more on this website as I ask further question regarding my modules.
    :)

4. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Mish,

I am a financial planner and have been for 5 years, before that I was in stockbroking. I don't work for Kaplan.

Good luck with the course,

Dan

5. MI$H

MI$H Member

Dan, if your company is ever in need of an aspiring Para Planner, with a finance background I'd love to hear from you. (as they say: if you don't ask you don't get)

6. Andrew Newman

Andrew Newman Well-Known Member

Hi Mi$h,

I can concur with Dan that the Kaplan course, Diploma in Financial Services (Financial Planning) is well regarded.

I originally began my Financial Planning Diploma through the FPA but they then passed it onto Kaplan (although they were called Tribeca previously).

Try and get the 1st unit (perhaps the 2nd unit also) under your belt, then try to find employment.

Once you secure employment, most financial planning firms will pay for your course subject to you passing each unit.

All the best with your future studies and feel free to get in touch with me as I am likely to need a paraplanner in the future.

7. Julieanne

Julieanne Member

Pinnacle - A good choise?

Hey Everyone =)

I just discovered this site and i think it's great!

I too am considering completing Pinnacle's DFS and i came across this site whilst looking for any evidence that signing up with Pinnacle would be a bad idea.

Prior to learning about Pinnacle i was considering training with Kaplan however last night i attended an info session for AMP horisons Academy and Pinnacle chief John Prowse spoke about Pinnacle's DFS.

It sounds like a good course ( i read somewhere that they've recently rewritten the whole diploma), it's endorsed by AMP and through AMP i can do the course for $1626, that's about half the price of Kaplan!!

I realise that Kaplan is best known in the industry and that's why everyone has recommended taking that path, however putting aside kaplan for a sec has anyone heard anything negative about Pinnacle at all? ie. I've pretty much made up up my mind ( half the price is a big Plus in my eyes!) but i guess i just wanted to check if there's any reason that i really shouldn't go with pinnacle....

Is it going to make a difference when i apply for jobs??

Thanks everyone

Julieanne

8. rbtoday

rbtoday Member

I have also enrolled in the Pinnacle DFP and the cost savings was the main reason why I preffered it over Kaplan.
    I think at the end of the day as long as your can get RG146 compliance- it is all that matters.

I should get my course notes tomorrow and then the fun begins....:rolleyes:

9. Julieanne

Julieanne Member

Awesome!! I faxed through my enrollment yesterday so my notes should arrive soon too. can't wait to get started! All the best with it :)

10. Haggis

Haggis New Member

Hi Mi$h

I'm currently studying my Diploma with Pinnacle and have had no issues at all. I am assured that the certificate received upon completion is just as recognised as the one issued by Kaplan!

My only criticism of Pinnacle is that their communication is sometimes lacking ... I've emailed them general queries a couple of times and ended up having to call them for a response. Luckily, I've not had to ask any major support questions.

Good Luck!!