Join our investing community

PIT

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Urbanvest, 23rd Jul, 2008.

1. Urbanvest

Urbanvest New Member

Hi all, I have just joined and am looking for information about setting up a Hybrid trust that is correct for my specific needs. I dont know much about these things. Where can I get samples of Trust Deeds and what are (if any) the critical parts of the deed that may deal with things like asset protection, negative gearing ??? etc.. I have been talking briefly with an accountant who says that specific clauses must be included to ensure that it suits my needs. What are these specific clauses and where can I learn more about it.:confused:

2. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Hi Urbanvest and welcome!

Why do you think that a "Hybrid Trust" is suitable for your needs? Or indeed the so-called "Property Investor Trust" to guess from your subject line?

Although the focus of this article http://www.invested.com.au/77/dont-panic-real-story-asset-protection-4168/?garpg=5 is asset protection, can I suggest you read it, and in particular the section I've directed you to? (I know the author - he's great :D)

If you start out without clear goals as to what you're trying to achieve and an understanding of the relative importance of various competing objectives such as tax effectiveness vs asset protection vs flexibility then you're in danger of getting your structuring wrong...which can cost a lot.

Once you've got a clear idea of the things you're trying to achieve then you can obtain legal and tax advice about how to best structure your affairs to do so.

Best of luck and welcome once again

Cheers
    N.