Managed Funds platinum asia

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by voigtstr, 4th Sep, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

What are the prospects for this fund short term, is it time to move to cash with this fund and get back in at a later time (perhaps monitoring it via Sim's comparefund web site?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I find this fund somewhat difficult to predict - possibly due to the way in which Platinum chooses the stocks they hold and their approach to short selling and currency hedging.

I've see this fund shoot off with a huge surge even when the asian markets are stagnant or falling, and likewise I've seen it fall back when they are doing well.

As to when to move to cash - I think it depends on your goals and timeframes. If you don't intend to hold this fund long term, then perhaps taking a profit now is a good move - especially if you have another use for that capital. Nobody ever went broke taking a profit (but you also may miss out on future gains).

I'm not sure this current run is over for the fund - although some asian markets seem to be bit weak right now and it has been trending sideways or slightly downward for a few weeks now. My crystal ball is still in for repairs unfortunately.

There's always the fence-sitter approach ... sell half and leave the rest invested :D

Note I don't currently have any exposure to this fund *sigh*

3. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

Thanks Sim, its for long term (Super) so I might as well stay in the fund.. just trying to be a bit more proactive than I was back at the end of 2007. Some here moved to cash around then. and If I was focussed at the time could have done the same, then buy in back in march this year.. and it would have been sweet.