Managed Funds Platinum International Fund - future?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by ToxicAlgae, 24th Oct, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ToxicAlgae

ToxicAlgae New Member

Dear All,

I have invested in Platinum International Fund. Its recent performance is not looking good. I am gradually warming up to the idea of moving out of Platinum. I would like to read your opinions about Platinum International and/or moving to a different fund.

2. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I hold Platinum International also and it's been lousy for a coupla years now. I'm hoping that's it not they're investments that are going wrong per se, it's their currency hedging. That being the case, should/when the Aussie dollar stop performing so well, this fund will be back in the money.

If that's the case, you'll have to weigh up the short term outperformance elsewhere vs the CGT for selling...

3. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

I'm in the international brands fund which also has been flat. unfortunatly most international funds which are unhedged have had poor performance. Once our dollar stops running, then I would hope the fund would start to perform again

4. Property WA

Property WA Active Member

Some silver lining that may come from this poor short term performance is a reduction in funds under management (ie investors withdrawing).

With the massive volumes they now handle I think the've also lost some of that 'nimble' action that saw them do so well - capacity constraints.

5. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

are there any other good international funds people are in here?

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Are you looking for broad funds, sector-specific funds or region specific funds ?

7. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

I'm looking for a ASIA specific fund, and also possibly a general international fund to possibly replace Plat International Brands.

8. Property WA

Property WA Active Member

IN NO WAY RECOMMENDING THESE -

But if you're after broad exposure I like

-AXA Global (Bernstein) Value
    -Acadian (Long / Short)

And will be looking into the Int'l fund for Global Value Investors.

As pointed out...it all comes down to what exposure your trying to obtain.

Last edited by a moderator: 25th Oct, 2007
  9. Simon Hampel

I don't have that many fund managers online yet ... but you can see past performance of a few Asian funds here: Fund Statistics

I like this report too: Fund Statistics ... shows quarterly performance stats for the past 12 quarters or 3 years (funds which haven't been operating that long aren't shown)

For global (ex Australia) funds try: Fund Statistics and Fund Statistics

Note that the quarterly averages are plain arithmetic averages of each quarterly performance, and aren't compounded. That is both good and bad - good in that it isn't warped as much by the compounding effect of one stellar quarter (looking at median is even better for this), and bad because it doesn't necessarily represent the total return you could have made if you invested 3 years ago like the annualised (CAGR) performances do.

10. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I've been a fan of Hunter Hall's Value Growth Trust for a long time. Just use a discounter to bypass much of the entry fees.

11. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

Yeh, I'm in Hunter Hall Global Ethical Trust for global small caps..

12. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Ditto.

N.

13. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

Sim, which ASIA fund are you in? Was it the Platinum one?

14. Simon Hampel

Yup, Platinum Asia.

15. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

I switched my Platinum international brand and international funds to Platinum Asia fund. So far it has been a good move, the fund is doing well even with a stronger Aussie dollar.
    I think the Platinum International fund is getting to large (8 bill +) and generally the larger the fund the slower the growth (my obeservation). Probably because they can no longer operate under the radar.
    Also in the past Platinum had more aggresive hedging policy and they did well but lately hasn't been the case (so I was told).
    My financial planner to be gave me a copy of recommendation to switch from International to Asia fund. But I got this after I switched to Asia fund.
    Even many US funds are not recommending US shares, they think Asia is where we should invest. Europe is going through economic slow down so it seems logical to invest in Asia.
    I place Australia as first choice and Asia second at least in the next year or so. Aussie dollar is still looking strong, and if US drop IR again next year and our IR increase again as predicted, it is most likely our currency will go up again. China on the other hand might increase their currency against the US slowly.

16. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

With the volatility of Platinum Asia fund lately, we can make profit trading it.
    Has anyone traded a managed fund before?

17. Simon Hampel

I think it's a pretty bad idea trying to trade a fund - mostly because of the lack of control you have over entry and exit prices and timing.

Think about it ... unit prices update the following afternoon after 5pm, and you generally need to get buy/sell instructions to the fund manager by 3pm to complete a trade (with money if you are purchasing!) ... so at the very best, you would be giving instructions tomorrow on unit price data you see today, which is as a result of yesterday's market.

Everything you do is at best 2 days out of date, and most likely more than this.

Given that the fund can easily move by more than 5% over a 2 day period ... I'd be very reluctant to try and trade - you've got no control at all.

18. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

asia in general is a volatile market.. so prehaps trade asian shares..

hedge funds try to trade the ups and downs in asia, some do well, others dont..

19. ToxicAlgae

ToxicAlgae New Member

I thought Platinum would be very successful for these times. So far we haven't seen any thing to be cheerful :-(

Should we give up hope or be patient and wait a little bit? I think you are right, because of their size, they won't be able to repeat their great success in 2000 unfortunately. I am about to give up....

On January 22, Kerr Neilson has posted a memo on Platinum's Web Site addressing (I guess) the investors. To quote from the letter:

"At Platinum we not only forewarned of the impending issues but have positioned the Platinum International Fund to ride out this storm. The Fund has 12% in cash and is 29% short ie. 59% exposed to world equity markets. Further, we have very low exposure to financials, resources and other crowded trades. Yes, we will face further turbulence in our unit price but we have the experience of these conditions from several earlier episodes. Please observe the lessons from our favourite series on investor psychology - don't sell your winners to avoid taking losses on your poor investments."

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice