Managed Funds Platinum International.

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by shouldisell, 5th Feb, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shouldisell

shouldisell Well-Known Member

I've just sat down and completed my next managed fund application form. I filled in everything but the investment allocation.

My plan was to invest $5000 into the 'CFS - FC, Platinum International' Share fund. I have been putting this off for a while now, probably because my other funds have been doing so badly. But I really want to stick to my plan and set this up as my final fund (for now anyway).

This thread doesn't have much purpose. I think I just need some reassurance.
    Actually, i would still like to hear some current opinions on this fund.

I plan to hold it for the next 5-10 years most likely.

(This fund would complete my plan of a diversified portfolio. I currently have an Australian property fund / Geared Australian share fund / Geared International property fund. So the 'PI' fund would complete my portfolio plan)

2. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

I would suggest staggering your entry points over the next few months.. say $1000 per month over 5 months.. rather than all 5 grand in one go.

Problem is our interest rates are going up, and US, UK etc are going down.. and while this is happening, our dollar goes up meaning over seas assets are worth less to australians.. At present the US interest rates are still agressively going down, and our rates are still raising, so until this reverses, its like swimming up against the flow of the creek.

Also while this is happening, I would suggest having a heavier weight to Australian assets. Our economy is doing very well compared to US and UK, hence why their interest rates are going down and our's are going up..

In saying that I think you have a great mix of funds.. keep on contributing on a monthly basis so you take advantage of the lower stock prices. Regular contribution also dollar cost averages your entry points, so you don't get caught entering at the top!

3. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I'd buy some Ishares ETF's.

Perhaps 50% IOO and 50% IEM...

4. shouldisell

Thanks guys.

I'm thinking of holding off on the managed fund. If I invested less than $5000 then I would have to set up automated contributions, which would be a good thing, but I'm not comfortable doing that at the moment.

The other option I was considering was investing in an/some ETF's. I still don't have much knowledge on what they are or how they work though.

I found this pretty useful:
    AUS iShares Essentials Webinar Presentation

The iShares site had some good information.

I've become comfortable researching managed funds with alot of help from everyone here. But when it comes to shares and ETF's I have no idea where or how to research.

Do you think someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys.

5. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

Compleks, also assign a portion of your portfilo into cash/fixed interest.. like ING direct or a term deposit.. just to give you a 'safe' investment during volatile times..

who knows, fixed interest might be the winner this year lol!

6. shouldisell

I opened a new account (Westpac) with a relatively high interest rate, and I try to keep some of my money in there. Plus I get bonus interest if I don't make any withdrawals.

7. investfreq

investfreq New Member

You can cancel the CFS automatic contributions once the account is opened. ;)

But I agree that savings (I use NAB iSaver) and ETFs (about to dip my toes into those waters) are a better option for current conditions.

8. shouldisell

How do I go about buying/investing in ETF's?

All my money is held in Westpac accounts, so I figure it would be easiest if I signed up to Westpac Broking.

How do I go about researching particular ETF's?

For managed funds I use the investSMART and compare funds sites.
    Is there a similar service to use when researching ETF's?
    Do I look for the same information as I would on a managed fund?

(I may have not been looking properly, but the iShare IOO ETF seemed to be performing poorly. I'm sure there is more to it than I saw, but did I interpret the figures correctly?)
    iShares ETFs for Australian Investors

Cheers.

9. investfreq

investfreq New Member

One buys/sells ETFs the same as direct shares. Compare Funds has S&P ASX indices, but not ETFs per se - it'd be great if it did.