ASX Shares Platinum IPO

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Nigel Ward, 13th Apr, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

We are going to invest some $ in the float of Platinum Asset Management. We have downloaded the PDS and put in an expression of interest with ComSec for our allocation.

2. capitalist

capitalist Member

I too have registerd an expression of interest with ComSec.
    It could be as good as TLSCA:)

3. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

1973 - 4.7%
    1974 - 5.5%
    1990 - 7.4%
    1999 - 0.5%
    2000 - 6.5%
    2001 - (6.2)%
    2005 - 6.4%

You might be wondering what those figures are. Those are the returns for the corresponding years from Berkshire Hathaway. Would you not invest in BH because of those? What's the point in getting upset about one years' returns?

If you're not confident of the manager's ability to achieve the returns you are after, why invest in that fund? If you feel you can do better elsewhere, then put your money elsewhere. But chasing returns is speculation, not investment.

Mark

4. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

in·vest (ĭn-věst')
    v. in·vest·ed, in·vest·ing, in·vests

v. tr.

To commit (money or capital) in order to gain a financial return: invested their savings in stocks and bonds.

It would seem to me that chasing returns is the very definition of investing.

5. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

I must confess that I do have a short term focus. I feel comfortable with an investment as volitile as MFs only if I'm in front so as if there is a correction I lose only profit rather than capital......Its the nature of the MJK beast.

But please I'm not upset at all with my investment I just want to know if people think PI is likely to do well over the next 12 months.:cool:

And why has the performance been so low over the last 12 months? Maybe there is a good reason. Its just that I dont know what it is.

MJK

6. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Chasing returns = fund and/or share hopping trying to find the next big thing (in my world). You say tomayto I say tomahto.

MJK, I dunno why PI hasn't performed so well this year either.

Mark

7. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

IPO is now open to Commsec clients. You are able to apply online. Commsec have limited applications to 20K ie 4000 shares. I have invested 10K, initially in my own name but only because I am a Commsec client. If I get my allocation, I will swap the shares over to my SMSF.

8. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

ill like to put a bit more in but my margin loan limit is too close to do it.... dont think it will be as good as telstra but should have some good growth

does anyone know what type of LVR comsec are offering on it for its margin loan?

Last edited by a moderator: 18th Apr, 2007
  9. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

Have applied today with ComSec for smsf and personal - both max allowed.

10. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

I would love to invest in the Interactive Brokers float on the NASDAQ. Not enough spare cash due to my residential property addiction though. I have considered a go at a stag profit, but I don't like punting.

That is one seriously good company (IBRK) they are floating there. It's a bottom of the drawer share potentially imo.

11. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

Comsec has closed its application for Platinum IPO - only opened for one day. My girlfriend visited from Melbourne last night and she has a lot of money in their smsf ready to invest. I told her about it and she phoned her hubby in Melbourne to get on Comsec and apply from their 3 accounts straightaway. I also told her about Navra for some of her smsf $. So, she is considering to become a Navra client - Steve should be happy!

12. philgu

philgu New Member

Just called Platinum regarding their offer to fund investors. They confirmed that only direct investors will receive the offer but not investors through margin lending as it is too hard to track down. I had both but guess will receive lower allocation as a result.

13. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I take it you're female, and girlfriend isn't girlfriend..

14. DaveA__

hmmm cant believe it closed so early...

i faxed my increase this morning so i may buy them 1st day on the market. however with the demand it think there will a significant preimum

15. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

A nice little stag profit. Thats if I get the double allocation, one in my SMSF and one in one of my companies names.

We will see. I was really surprised by the early closure. Close on $500mil in one day. Wow.

Cheers

16. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

what's going to be the opeing price

So anybody want to have a guess at the allocation and or the opening day price????

17. DaveA__

my guess, retail investors will get less than 10% of all shares... fund holders will get the most...

at end of 1st day close a premium of about 15% i reckon (around a $6 close price)

18. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

What about this quote from the "financial dictionary" on the web (its more important for this conversation I think):

Be sure not to get 'making an investment' and 'speculating' confused. Investing usually involves the creation of wealth whereas speculating is often a zero-sum game where wealth is not created. Although speculators are often making informed decisions, speculation cannot usually be categorized as traditional investing.
    -----

Choosing funds based on their short-term performance is most definitely speculating in the financial sense. But - I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that :D

There have been numerous studies completed (see Bernstein et al.) that show, historically, that the most recent best performers tend to be the worst perfomers going forward. Based on this you'd probably be better off finding the cheapesst funds that have performed terribly recently and betting on those...

For those that are interested in Platinums past performance, I'd compare the returns to a simple index fund first.

As for the IPO - its a very different thing to investing in their funds. Increases in fee's (which hurt fund investors) and FUM is what you'd be interested in.

jason.

19. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised to see the share price hit the $7.00 mark. There seems to be a large unsatisfied demand for the IPO shares.

Cheers,

Steve

20. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

$7.00 would represent a 40% increase on the issue price of $5.00, which would be a P/E ratio blowout from 17.6 to 24.6. Stranger things have happened.. :confused: