ASX Shares Platinum IPO

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Nigel Ward, 13th Apr, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Simon

That's very disappointing. However, let's strip away the emotion. We're you investing just to stag it substantially and flog or you investing believing this was a company worth investing in for the long term?

If it's the later (but of course hoping for a big stag unrealised gain of course) then you should try to get some more (if available at a reasonable price) on listing.

Whilst it's impossible to do entirely, we should try to separate emotion from investment decisions. Or at least that's the theory... :rolleyes:

Cheers
    N.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Here is a chart of Platinum International for the last 2 years (not logarithmic, shows value of $10,000 invested at fund inception assuming distributions reinvested, ignoring tax etc).

It's pretty clear that it's done basically nothing for the past 14 months or so, after doing very well the previous year.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: 29th Jun, 2007
  3. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Would appear that through comsec I received the full 4000 allocation twice:)

So happy with that result. Mind you the letter says sorry about allocation (must be standard letter) and then still fully allocated. I haven't seen the letter yet but bookeeper just read it for me.

My 3rd application was through Platinum direct as a fund holder. In this case I applied for 25000 and received 4880 instead. Seems like the allocation have no rhyme or reason. Have only been a Platinum fund holder for 2 years with a balance of $150k.

Simon - How did you apply for the $50k allocation?

Cheers

4. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Through Leveraged Equities. Because the Platinum Shares are held by them the application also had to go via them.

Sounds like it is their fault :eek:

5. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

Hi Sim,

I love those colorful charts!

What international fund is doing well? It would seem that most of them have returned average results over the last 12 months, so you can't say that platinum has performed poorly. Compared to their peers, they are around the money..

And I think it would be silly to invest into a booming market, like the ASX because the last 12 months was going gangbusters.

1 rule of investing, do the opposite to what the market is doing.. and right now you should be reducing exposure to booming markets, and investing the the 'out of flavor' sectors, ie international funds.

To me, it would seem we have Platinum on sale, so why would you not buy it? If milk is on sale at your local general store, are you going to say, I don't want any because the price is cheap, and then come back next week when the price runs and then say, gee, milk is going up, I better buy some up?

Tom.

6. Simon Hampel

I think taken out of context, rules such as this are quite dangerous to your wealth creation ... unless you have a LOT of time to wait.

You need to understand the fundamentals driving the market you are considering, and more importantly, for a particular fund, you need to understand what markets and even what individual shares that fund invests in.

If you believe that a market has been oversold, and the fundamentals indicate that strength should be returning, THEN it is possibly a good time to buy.

Simply buying because something has gone down without consideration to WHY it has gone down, is not a good strategy in my opinion - you run the risk of buying before the bottom is reached and having to wait a long time to show a profit. Better to buy once momentum has returned AFTER it has bottomed in my opinion.

However, if the fundamentals don't necessarily support the new upward momentum, it may stall - and you end up wasting your time ... it's difficult to pick where the bottom actually is.

Here's a chart of Platinum Japan (attached).

Note the distance between the peak in March 2006 and the trough in July 2006. Note that the fund is now LOWER than that trough, having performed very erratically over that 10 month period. Note the 200 day moving average (that's 200 trading days - around 1 year) ... it's been trending downwards for a while. That's not a good sign.

Would you buy into this fund just because it is "cheap" ?

The Nikkei hasn't exactly been showing stellar results lately - it's not much higher than it was 12 months ago ... unless there's a strong indication that growth has returned to that market, I don't think now is a good time to invest.

I prefer to buy momentum ... when the fundamentals driving a market push it to new highs, I see a good opportunity to invest in that market for so long as the fundamentals support the new valuations. The ASX200 is a good example - company profits have gone up significantly over the past 4 years and as such, P/E ratios are not absurdly high (yet).

The problem with Platinum International is that there is no single "market" that they invest in ... so it is very difficult for us to predict what it driving it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: 29th Jun, 2007
  7. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

I'm not saying that you buy something just because its cheap, but certainly you need to find something out of flavour.

So are you invested OS at the moment? or are you exposed to ASX only?

The problem with what your doing, is when you relise the tide has turned, usally the horse bolts and by the time you get out, the market has dropped 10%.. remember there is a old saying, the market goes up the stair case, but down the elevator.

I would be concerned about what the market will do come july 1, when all this super money stops flowing in..

When the dot.com crash happened, everyone still in was caught with their pants down... lets hope the same doesn't happen to zinc.com!

8. Simon Hampel

Bad comparison ... one is a commodity, the other is an asset. Those markets behave very differently.

Is Platinum really on sale ? I don't see it as being cheap - I see it as being dead. It's not doing anything, it hasn't dropped, it hasn't risen.

Check out the March quarterly report for Platinum International ... it didn't particularly strike me as an excited report.

9. Simon Hampel

• Platinum Asia
    • CFS W/S Global Resources
    • CFS W/S Colliers Global Property Securities (although I recently sold out of these to consolidate my other better performing investments ... I will look to buy back in once I've reached my limit for my other investments and growth returns to this fund).
    • Platinum European is high on my shortlist - and while the growth has been reasonable, I'm still doing far better with my other funds, so it's still on the bench.

Not necessarily.

One of three things will happen

1. the market will overheat and then stall
    2. the market will be affected by some significant external event
    3. the market will run out of steam and will drift downwards

The first you can see coming ... and if you like to take a few risks, you can make a lot of money while things get hot (right now I see the ASX as being quite warm, but certainly not hot ... I think we're in for some exciting times in the 2nd half of this year ... with "exciting" not always a good thing).

The second (external event) you can do little about except to have a well structured portfolio and a strategy for dealing with the unexpected (buffers, etc)

The third you can also see coming to a degree - looking at market momentum ... it tends to be a slow painful death, rather than a spectacular fireball like an overheated market crash.

... and at the end of the day, a 10% correction is nothing to cry about when you've just done 40%+ over the past 9 - 12 months.

There will be still be super going into the market - just not as quickly ... the market may lose momentum for a bit - but I don't think we'll see a change in direction. We still have strong fundamentals - very low unemployment, inflation under control, good consumer and business sentiment, good company earnings growth ... I don't think it will be that big a deal.

The dot.com crash happened because the market became white-hot ... there was no longer any regard for the fundamentals (that was the whole sales pitch for tech stocks - it was a "new age" of business and all that crap).

We've only just started to see the euphoria enter the mass public consciousness in Australia - in my opinion, we're not quite in a bubble yet ... although I can see one starting to form.

If you aren't prepared to strap in and hang on for the ride (which is fair enough I think) ... I think now might be a good time to start looking at Sydney and Melbourne real estate again :D

10. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

Received in the mail today letters from Platinum (proforma signed by Kerr Neilson) confirming what Comsec told me about our allocations - 2,000 PTM shares for each of 3 Comsec accounts (one filled as applied, and 2 got scaled back from 4,000 to 2,000).

11. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

1 rule of investing, do the opposite to what the market is doing.. and right now you should be reducing exposure to booming markets, and investing the the 'out of flavor' sectors, ie international funds.

Amazing rule !!!!!!! :eek:
    AGAIN - are you a taxi driver or maybe you are a Kamikaze pilot ?
    Interesting info is here: How to Fail As a Trader in 10 Easy Steps

12. DaveJ__

DaveJ__ Well-Known Member

Leveraged Equities - ??/

Hi All,
    Thought i would update for those having funds in Leveraged Equities. The majority of my application $$$ for the upcoming float has be put back into my account tonight. I applied for $60,000 worth of shares and it appears i have been allocated the grand total of.... wait for it.... $2,000.

Would have got a much higher allocation had i held the funds directly and not with a margin provider... Pity the Margin Lenders couldn't get their act together with Platinum and sort out a fair way to get their clients access to the float. Very poor form in my opinion.

400 ($2000) shares are not even worth holding and the brokerage to sell them will probably cancel out any profit.

"Not Happy Jan!" :mad:

DaveJ

P.S. Would be interested to hear what others in Leveraged Equites have been allocated?

Last edited by a moderator: 19th May, 2007
  13. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Before you spit the dummy, margin lenders and platforms (BT et. al.) were originally going to get no allocation at all. Taking that into consideration, the amount they got would have been very minimal. Frankly you're lucky that you got anything.

Couple that with the fact that this issue was going to be waaaaaaaaaay over subscribed as it was, I think you got a fair deal. Way back even before these guys got shares, people were already tipping that the allocations would be halved at best.

Mark

14. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

That's ok then - thanks Mark :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

15. DaveJ__

DaveJ__ Well-Known Member

Actually this float was for "Loyal" clients to be rewarded through a restricted float. The fact that Platinum and the Margin lenders/Wraps etc couldn't sort this will leave a very sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths i think...

To say that we should be grateful to get anything is missing the point. I don't think i am lucky to get 400 shares.... Its a waste of time and an pathetic way to reward their clients.:(

For those comsec customers who didn't even have to have Platinum funds, well done on the $10k allocations? Does that make sense to you MarK?

Of course my opinion only...

16. Simon Hampel

I haven't officially had my allocation confirmed yet, but I just found a $48,000 "refund" in my St. George margin loan, so it looks like I only got $2,000 worth.

I would have been happy with something over $25,000 ... but $2,000 is just a waste of everyone's time - I'd have preferred I got nothing.

17. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

dont be greedy!

I'm lucky to have $12000 worth!

Are people going to sell their holdings on day one for a quick profit, or are they going to keep this stock for the long hurl? Or keep it for 12 months for CGT discount?

18. Simon Hampel

Not sure whether that was a tongue-in-cheek remark ?

... but anyway, to put things in perspective ... with an interest bill exceeding $5,000 a week, an investment of $2,000 is just a nuisance - costs more to manage the paperwork that it's worth.

19. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

I agree ...

20. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Email I just sent to Platinum

Well I vented and doubt it will do much good but it did make me feel a bit better.

Let you know if I get a reply - be surprised if I do, but some office lackey might spend a minute jotting back some ******** about complex allocation formulas, over subscription etc

I am a unit holder in the Platinum International Fund.

I recently heard of the Platinum Float and sought to apply for shares. Because my shares were held via my margin lender I was informed that there was to be no allocation. I found this particularly unfair as I considered myself as much a unit holder as anyone else.

My margin lender later contacted me and advised that I could apply after all so I completed their form and requested $50 000 worth and forwarded the funds.

I have received an allocation of 400 shares or $2 000 worth. I consider this paltry amount to be hardly worth holding. I feel that this was given out to appease our earlier complaints of being overlooked because we hold our units via a margin lender.

I knew the float to be oversubscribed and didn't expect to get the full $50 000 worth. But $2 000 is an insult especially considering non unitholders were allocated far higher amounts. I have recently been discussing this with investing colleagues who advised me that they had received 6 000, 12 880 and 8 000 etc shares via Comsec. The real kicker is that some of them did not even hold any units in your investment funds.

No doubt there is some commercial reason why this decision was taken. But I am not such a sophisticated investor to understand how this all works nor, quite frankly, do I care.

For me it boils down to an obvious unfairness which has seen me, a unitholder, disadvantaged compared to non unit holders.

Based on the response to this email I will be making a decion whether to sell my unitholdings or retain them. That kneejerk decision probably does not make economic sense but I do refuse to deal with anyone that I feel has treated me shabbily.

Sincerely,

Simon