Managed Funds Platinum Unhedged Fund

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Simon Hampel, 26th Jul, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

With all the negativity towards Platinums funds (other than Platinum Asia) - especially the hedging issues they seem to have with the Platinum International fund ... I thought I might have a closer look at the new Platinum Unhedged fund which opened to the public a couple of months back (March 2007 I think).

Normally I wouldn't consider such a new fund without any track record - but I was browsing through the Platinum website and noticed that the unit price history for the fund was a lot longer than I expected !! On closer inspection it appears that this fund has actually been trading for well over 2 years now - it started back at the end of January 2005 !!!

Anyway - I decided to run it through my system and build a chart for it ... it has performed better than I expected (for an international fund), and certainly far better than the Platinum International fund has in the past 12 months / 2 years.

I've attached charts for both below.

FY returns for the two funds:

Platinum Unhedged vs Platinum International
    2005/06: 42.08% vs 25.46%
    2006/07: 13.08% vs 5.57%

Quarter-by-quarter returns:

Platinum Unhedged vs Platinum International
    2005Q2: -4.11% vs -2.69%
    2005Q3: 13.79% vs 11.27%
    2005Q4: 14.10% vs 10.75%
    2006Q1: 14.52% vs 8.11%
    2006Q2: -3.70% vs -5.26%
    2006Q3: 3.77% vs 1.77%
    2006Q4: 2.02% vs -0.57%
    2007Q1: 0.72% vs 0.65%
    2007Q2: 6.46% vs 3.19%

To better understand the differences between the two funds - I suggest you look at the quarterly reports ... in particular, the March report has a real example of the differences in strategy:

http://www.platinum.com.au/images/pufqtr_0307.pdf
    http://www.platinum.com.au/images/pufqtr_0607.pdf

Personally I think they are a little over-exposed to the US and Japan, but I'm certainly no expert :D ... at least they currently have some exposure (2%) to the Australian market, which I think is something the Platinum International fund lacks (I'm not sure whether they have a non-Australia mandate).

... anyway just thought I'd post these interesting findings. I've certainly added the fund to my watchlist - although it's not quite good enough to make my shortlist yet ... although it would currently rank 4th in my shortlist of funds and shows a buy signal - although I won't consider it yet (Navra is still easily outperforming it due to the strong Australian market).

Attached Files:

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

According to INFOCHOICE | Investment | Margin Lending | Compare ... PLA0006AU is currently offered an LVR by BT, LevEq and Macq ... all 70%

I just checked St.George - they are now offering 60% LVR

Interestingly, LevEq are now offering 75% on Platinum International ... they rarely go to 75% (unlike St.George who offer 75% on a lot of funds). LevEq have also recently increased their LVR on Platinum Asia to 70%, up from 65%.

3. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

Thanks for highlighting this fund! I have seen it there, but never looked at it also due to it limited performance figures!

4. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Sim,

If you don't mind performing some analysis on this fund that'd be appreciated...

:D

5. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

When are we going to get the patented Sim BUY/SELL signals SMS'd out to us????

:D :D

6. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

go sim!

I'd be happy to sign something saying the buy sell signall was general information only and did not constitute financial advice :)