Join our investing community

Podcasts?

Discussion in 'Help & Feedback' started by Alan, 11th Sep, 2005.

1. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Hi Sim.

Does the Site have any plans for using Podcasts as a delivery methodology for Investment type Articles etc?

:)

2. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

great idea!

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

People keep asking me about podcasts ... and it certainly is a great idea.

What people don't seem to understand is just how much time it takes to do it correctly.

Podcasts are effectively a form of pre-written radio - you have to script it, you have to record it, you have to edit it, you have to convert it to a form suitable for publication, and then you have to serve it.

The challenge is, that many of our articles won't make terribly much sense in their current form - just reading out an article on its own isn't really enough unless you also have supporting material you can refer to. For example, my margin loan article wouldn't make terribly much sense if I tried to read it out in a podcast! We would have to re-write them with podcasting in mind, and then we would have to spend the time recording them.

I'm not saying no - I'm saying I definitely want to do it, but it will take a little time to get organised enough to do it ... there are a heap of other features and things we want to do on the site as a higher priority.

Here's a question for you though ... would you expect the author (eg. Steve) to be the person who narates the article ? Or would you be happy with someone else reading out one of Steve's articles ?

4. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Fair enough Sim.

I must admit I'm not aware of the required detail for delivery so it was just an idea. I'm not trying to create more work for anyone. :)

Certainly many concepts would be better presented in ways beyond audio and I guess others would be fine via audio.

Who needs to deliver the material? I guess it depends on the material, but generally I guess the author would be more appropriate.

:)

5. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be fusssed about who's delivering the content. I'm too busy to read at times, but I've got time in the car to listen...