Managed Funds Post distribution prices?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Simon, 23rd Sep, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Davidr__

Davidr__ Member

Following on from the ideas in this thread, I downloaded the unit prices since inception and overlaid them with the distributions.

Unfortunately I'm not a stats whiz nor annalyst of any great skill, so the picture isn't clear to me.

Would someone like to comment on the results as they plot? Is there anything to be drawn?

Cheers,
    David.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: 24th Sep, 2005
  2. Denis__

Denis__ Well-Known Member

Reply To Simon and Gazza
    The disadvantage is that the funds invested are through a SMSF so you cannot prepay interest as you cannot take loans.Therefore profit made by
    investing the day before distribution generates an income that became taxable in the next ninety days.Had I invested the day after distribution I would have purchased 5% cheaper and avoided the income tax liability.

3. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

Funds

Realistically then it's not really an issue of whether you invest before or post distribution when investing via a SMSF. Hopefully you will always have a tax liabilitity :) because that means you SMSF is earning income, it is more a question of trying to time your purchase into the fund at the right time ie. the lowest entry price and that is very hard to do. Yes you guarantee a lower price by buying in immediately after the distribution but if for example the share market continues to drop for the first month in the next quarter, you again could argue you could have bought in at a cheaper price. By the same token if it went up in the first month , you would be very happy.

Gazza

4. D.T._

D.T._ Well-Known Member

Hi,

I've been trying to get back into the navra fund (I was in it before but withdrew it to use as a IP deposit) for a while, but it's taking ages to set up the trust structure the the margin loan.

Would really like to take advantage of the Sept distribution, can anyone assist? :D :p

Cheers

Dave

5. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

What is your question Dave?

If you have been in it before then I suggest that you know how to get in again?

Cheers,

6. D.T._

D.T._ Well-Known Member

Twas a little bit of sarcasm Simon, was hoping you could force my new trust be be stamped by tommorow and the margin funds available by yesterday.

Cheers

Dave

7. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

ASX200 up 56 points today.

That shouldn't 'hurt' the September Distribution either.... :D

8. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Sorry Dave - you know me - insensitive to the little nuances as always.

I will see what I can do - how soon can you get the funds to me? I prefer cash too.

Thanks

9. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Up almost another 40 points today so far..........this September Distribution should be a beauty!

:D

10. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

These late gains in the all ordinaries may be unrealised at this point in time. Certainly not hurting us though :)

11. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Whether to hold off investing based on Unit Price ?

Hi guys

Pardon my ignorance (and wow! look at the performance chart of NI at the moment - well done Navra team !!) ...

The topic discussed in this thread interests me, as I am buying some more units post distribution, but of course the unit price (even after distribution) looks like it will be at a record high.

Using the last 2004/5 quarter as an example, the unit price on 1 April 05 was 1.0967, went down as low as 1.0219 on 18 May and on 30 Jun it was 1.12. So with the benefit of hindsight I guess you could have bought the units at 7 cents less than the starting price post-distibution ? However from a quick glance at the other historical figures, I can't see too many other occasions when the price dropped so substantially. In fact attached is an image of the chart of prices showing that period as the most significant 'dip' in recent history.

I understand the unit price is dependent on exactly what happens with the stocks NI is buying and selling, but I suppose my dummy question is, at around $1.15 or thereabouts is it valued a bit on the high side (along the lines of discussion in this thread) or am I worrying about insignificant issues in the overall scheme of things and should I just get on with it and let NI do its thing ? (and for that matter, could it also go UP just as substantially?)

Cheers
    Carl

Attached Files:

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

The ASX200 is a record high levels. It's not surprising that the NavraInvest funds are at record high levels too.

There are multiple perspectives on the best approach here. Some people would say now is not the time to be investing in the market either directly or through a fund. Others who take a long term approach figure now is as good as any time - can you really say that the market won't go up another 5%, 10%, 20% ?

Personally I think that trying to time investments into managed funds is a bad idea - the funds themselves do their own timing (even if it is only reactive trading like NavraInvest) - and you are better off leaving your money in their hands and let them do their job. If you don't trust them to do their job, why are you investing with them in the first place ?

Park your money and leave it there. Don't plan on touching it for at least 5 years. If you know you will need the money sooner than that, consider a more capital secure option (offset accounts are a good choice).

If you are investing in NavraInvest for the capital growth, I think you might be disappointed into the future. It's an income fund. Enjoy the growth we are getting now - but don't count on it always.

13. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Unit price

Hi Sim'

Makes sense to me. Expecting some volatility in the Unit Price, the gut feel tells me to hold off till I can buy a few more units for the same amount of dough. But the brain (or the tiny portion thereof still working) tells me I need the money in an alternative that will generate some returns. And I figure the risk of me picking something else and what might happen if I get it wrong, is greater than the relatively minor effect of some fluctuation in unit prices.

Plus I've done an abyssmal job of picking direct stocks in the past, I am a convert to the concept of managed funds.

Cheers
    Carl

14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I agree with your analysis there TryHard - if I was good enough to time the market accurately to the point where I think I could do it better, and to pick stocks that are going to perform well, and to trade them profitably ... I'd do it all myself. I'm not, so I don't !

15. perky

perky Well-Known Member

So a 10.27% rise in the quarter.
    Great result !!
    So would a 5c (or around 5% distribution be a chance? :) )

16. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Yeah I wanna know when the distributions are announced... :)