Join our investing community

Potholes in the global road

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tropo, 16th Mar, 2006.

1. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

2. MichaelWhyte

MichaelWhyte Well-Known Member

Tropo,

Awesome read, thank you! I've printed it out to take home and show my wife. There's a couple of very salient points in there that I want to convery to her.

From a personal self-interest perspective, the following paragraph was very enlightening:

I read that just as I've sent my CV off to London to see if there's any senior jobs going in their consulting space. I've done my time as an executive here and a former management consultant and am thinking of stepping up to the next level. Whether I'm up to it or not is a completely different question... :eek:

Cheers,
    Michael.

3. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Michael, I didn't know you were a glacial skier...
    Don't know if there's many glaciers over in the UK :D

Seriously though, good luck in securing something more challenging for yourself. Sounds like you're ready for a change?
    Pity you can't take Narrabeen with you.... ;)

4. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to the day when we can outsource CEO's to India :)

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Yep........This is what is happening for quite some time !!.
    If you have got Masters or Phd try your luck in London or US. But London is very expensive place to live.
    In EU it's a bit hard. You must know fluently 2-3 different languages.
    But if you are versatile enough, go for it !!.
    Good Luck !!.
    :cool:

6. MichaelWhyte

Jacque,

Nah, the glacier skiier is my wife. She's done the advanced mountaineering course in NZ climbing Mt Aspiring. She's also trecked to the base camp of K2 through Pakistan over the Gondogoro (sp?) glacier. I TOLD you she was special! And, yep, I wish I could take Narrabeen with me. Ah well, at least that non-deductible debt will become deductible debt. ;)

Tropo, almost finished my E-MBA at the AGSM. I'm on my final core subject of the 8, then next year is the Executive Year based on residentials and intense Strat I and Strat II modules. Should be fun, not. So far, so good. I'm on a Distinction average for the 7 subjects completed thus far (4 D's 3 HD's), grade point average of 83. I need to get a 92% HD in Corporate Finance (current subject) to finish with an HD grade point average for the full 8 subjects. Just got the results for my mid-semester exam back and I got 92% so its gonna be close. :D

Can't speak any other languages so it looks like London might be the go (and I have a UK ancestry visa and have worked in the UK for 2 years already some time back).

Cheers,
    Michael.

7. johnnyb

johnnyb Well-Known Member

My wife and I both have PhDs and ended up in London after a few months backpacking around Europe. And yes, there were many people interested in us because of our education (and in my case some experience) but it is a very small market at the high end and we found it difficult to get roles that extended us. As always it helps if you know someone.

Having a UK visa makes a big difference too.

John.

8. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Michael,

Before you go, finish E-MBA !!.
    In London, US or EU without good "paper" your chances are very limited !!.

9. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

John !!!.

It all depends what profession do you have !!.

London is not that small as you think, and YES connections ALWAYS !!!! help.
    The trick is to have a profession and experience in demand at the time!!.

We (me + my wife) hold only Masters in Eng. but especially for my wife (not for me !) London is open !!.
    I still think that US is the best market for professionals.

Also UE it's very good place to be IF you know few different languages ( French, Italian, German, Spanish).

I am not sure about visa.....But if you get contract - visa is not an object !!.
    Good Luck to you and your wife !!!. :)

10. johnnyb

johnnyb Well-Known Member

So true. We have degrees in physics and mathematics. Unfortunately many people (even those who should know better) don't see this as having a profession. I also had a fair bit of experience in financial engineering and IT before going to the UK, so thought I would find it easier than I did. I actually had an interview at Enron, but after the interview they told me that they had put a hold on new recruitment. This was just a few months before the company (or at least part of it) went under :eek:

Yes, that's a very good trick :D

Engineers have it easy compared to physicists :p

I agree that without a couple of languages getting a role inthe EU would be difficult. We had a bit of a look as we were travelling around, but decided the effort was not worth it. For us it was better to get a job in London and take holidays on the continent.

11. MichaelWhyte

Tropo, unfortunately that was sorta what I was thinking...

Ah well, another year or so delay will just mean I'll have more time in Aus to buy a couple of nice little IPs in my 'hood before I leave the area for a while! ;)

See, every cloud does have a silver lining...

Cheers,
    Michael.