Join our investing community

Question on keeping your tax records

Discussion in 'Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by taxstar, 10th Nov, 2007.

1. taxstar

taxstar Active Member

Hi Eveyone

It seems like there are a regular people interested in accounting and tax.

Can I ask what system people are using to keep thier tax information if you have property, managed funds and shares, and some employment information?

Are you using a software program like MYOB or Quicken to record your information before you give it to your accountant?

How are you keeping your paper documents? In folders that you create yourself, or the much loved "shoebox"?

Thanks

Warren

2. islandgirl

islandgirl Well-Known Member

Morning
    I use MYOB only because I was using it when I was running a small home business and so just carried it forward for my property investing. MYOB and like minded programs are really only good for those people who have a understanding of accounting and ledger entries. Otherwise it is way to easy to stuff it up.

I know a lot of people here use spreadsheets. If I didn't already have an accounting program I guess that is what I would be using too for ease.

3. taxstar

taxstar Active Member

Hi Islandgirl

Thanks for your reply. I know several people in your same position. I am working on a system to help people that don't to use accounting systems like MYOB, but still want a system to help them keep organised for income tax and capital gains tax.

Would you be interested in helping me review my system? If so, please send me an email and I can send you more details and a copy of what I have designed.

Thanks

Warren

4. islandgirl

islandgirl Well-Known Member

I'm a little time poor...OK majorly time poor but I'll help where I can. Be happy to. I'll email you