Managed Funds Ranking in terms of total returns

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by tony__, 4th Dec, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tony__

tony__ Well-Known Member

Hi

For info.

A facility that I like to use before I invest in a managed fund is to obtain the ranking of that fund relative to other funds in the same category. The ranking is in terms of total returns.

Thus one reason for getting out of Platinum International was the average ranking relative to other funds in the same category eg
    ranked 90 out of 256 for the last month.

Likewise my reason for getting into Australian Unity Property Securities Growth.

The facility is available at nonemsn money website. Others may find it useful.

Tony

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I wouldn't pay too much attention to relative fund rankings which use shorter term historic performance as a measure ... it encourages those funds who take short term risks and punishes those funds which take a longer term view of value and such.

3. tony__

tony__ Well-Known Member

Hi

thanks

note however that the same ranking tool also provides the rank of a particular fund over the past 3 and 5 years (compared to its peers).

Thus one could see that a particular fund may have ranked 999/1000 in each of the past 3 months/ 1 year/ 3 years/ 5 years for that particular category.

For example, a fund may have been perceived as "average" in terms of total returns over the past 5 years, except the return could be abmissal in comparison with similar funds over that period.

It's just a tool - for short and long term comparison.

Thanks

Tony

4. Simon Hampel

Well that's a bit better then - your first post implied it was only short term comparisons (although that was just the way I read it - you didn't actually say as such)

5. lorrimer

lorrimer Well-Known Member

Hi Tony,
    Had a good look on the website but can't seem to find this tool.
    Which heading does it come under?
    Thanks,
    Lorrimer

6. Simon Hampel

Yup, and FWIW - you can do much the same thing using my Compare Funds site: Fund Statistics

... although I don't have as many fund managers covered as I'm sure Ninemsn do yet (I haven't seen the site, but I'm guessing they get their data from Morningstar ??)

7. tony__

tony__ Well-Known Member