Real life examples of downturn

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 22nd Feb, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Another real life example of why you should always consider property as a LONG TERM (ie: at least one property cycle of approx 8-10 yrs) investment.

Tonight I attended an auction and witnessed one very happy buyer purchase a near new 2 bed 2 bath unit on the Baulkham Hills/Castle Hill border for an amazing $301,000. The vendor must have been one very desperate seller, as he paid $470,000 for it as a new unit (or possibly OTP) back at the peak of the Sydney boom, end of 2003 :(
    Very sad for the vendor, but what a bargain for the buyer :)
    My pre-auction estimate had actually been low $400K's :D
    I wonder how much more the vendor could have got if he'd sold it private treaty. One wonders.....

2. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Bargain! That would have to be +vely geared even before taking into account depreciation.

If you can get a deep discount (albeit off an inflated previous price) then the potentially lower capital growth from a near new unit like this is less of an issue I guess.

Hmmm... may have to think about engaging a skilled buyers' agent to hunt down these bargains... :D

N.

3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Don't we all love a bargain too?! :)
    Unfortunately, however, though this property was a real steal (in MHO) the gross rental yield is more likely to be around the 5.5% mark as similar units of this type are currently renting for the $310-$330 range. Not positively cashflowed yet my friend ;)
    I am noticing, however, a real decrease in the no. of available rentals in the local papers. At its peak, the local Hills News and Shire Times were carrying up to 7-8 pages of rentals, with loads of colour pics. Recently, we're down to 3-4.
    I'm also looking for a rental for a current client, and the lower price brackets for houses ($290-370) are being snapped up sooner than they were this time last year.
    Bring on those rising rents!!!