Recommendations for Pest/Building Inspectors Sydney?

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Alan__, 13th Feb, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Anyone have any recommendations for good Pest/Building Inspectors in Sydney?

Thanks guys.

:)

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I do, Alan, but number's in office - will attempt to remember to post you the details tomorrow!

3. Jacque

Building inspector:

PRG (Paul Greer) Ph: 9773 4487

Pests:

Classic Pest Control Pty Ltd
    Ph: 9820 7685

Exit Pest Control
    Ph: 9796 3060

Please note that I haven't directly used these people, but have heard good things about them from colleagues and trust their experiences.

4. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Thanks Jacque. :)

I'm going well..........I'm almost halfway through my To-do List! :eek:

5. Jacque

Well, do tell :)
    What's left to do?
    Removalists, cleaners, gardening, packing, redirecting mail?
    How far along are you with selling?

6. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Oh thanks Jacque. Make that almost 1/4 of the way there then. :(

I've been finishing a lot of jobs the last few days..........some I started a while back. :rolleyes:

There was the window I knocked out and put in a door........but I hadn't got around to putting in steps etc.

There was the playroom I built.........but I hadn't got around to finishing the painting and lighting.

There was the deck out the back I built.........but I hadn't got around to putting in (more) steps, railing etc.

etc......etc.....

I think you're beginning the get the idea here! :D

Almost narrowed down three agents to interview in the next couple of weeks and we're now 'decluttering' and cleaning. 'Decluttering' is an interesting experience with my wife........she ums and ahhs about throwing out a magazine fron 5 years ago! :eek: But we press on........

7. Jacque

How's it all going, Alan?
    Haven't heard an update yet, and I do like to follow these things along :D
    Isn't de-cluttering a terrific way to start afresh, though?
    I should know, I've done it many times as an army spouse!
    At least you don't have to do a complete inventory when you move house by yourself :)

8. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque.

Major slowdown lately due to work and some other commitments. :(

Let me see.........where did I get up to?

Pest and Building done. Nothing major but a few things I'll fix up and a couple of other issues I'm at least aware of now.

Got the new downlights in last Saturday and more landscaping. Remember that really hot day last Saturday? :eek: My brother-in-law was crawling around in about a metre of ceiling cavity(must have been 50 degrees up there) doing electrical and I was carting railway sleepers everywhere. :(

Damn it.......we couldn't find a gravy boat but we had a cold beer(or was it more? :rolleyes: ) at the end of the day anyway! :cool:

'Decluttering' is having some positive affects for my wife. Even she now feels that keeping 5yo magazines may be too much! :D Don't ask some of the other stuff we're keeping though. :rolleyes:

Have been getting some referrals for agents and now hope to interview next week.

Actually that reminds me, I still have two holes in the ceiling gyprock sheets..........better go and plug 'em. Hmmm.......maybe I could pop a couple of 4yo magazines up there before I seal it? ;)

9. Jacque

So who did you end up using for the pest and building and were you happy with them? Would like to know :)

As for those magazines, why not chuck them with the rest of the clutter into a quick garage sale? You might be suprised at how much ppl are willing to pay for your trash :)
    I've held four now and it never ceases to amaze me that there are willing buyers for the some of the ugly stuff I've kept over the years....

Get a REA to give you an old sign and use the back of it for your sale ;)

10. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque.

I missed your recommendations by a few hours and arranged a local guy.

Was I happy? He was ok. Not good enough that I'd mention their names as a plug but not bad enough to overly criticise either.

I now have a nice little Inspection Report that says there are only a couple of minor things and I'll probably fix those. If anyone comes along with an alternate Inspection Report and tries to use it for negotiation then I can at least counter with my report. :)

11. Jacque

Good for you Alan :)
    Putting yourself in the driver's seat as far as negotiating power goes is very important. It's all about control :)
    Knowledge is power! Would be very interested in following the progress on the sale of your property- I love it!!

12. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Ok Jacque...just for you.

Excuse me if I'm typing slowly but I'm still in shock.....:eek: :eek:

Today we moved from the semi construction phase through 'decluttering' and into a bit of gardening and cleaning.

Everything was going so well. :eek:

* Pause for a strong drink.

It was nearing the end of the day.......the garden was starting to come up a treat........although not obvious to many......the house was starting to look cleaner.......and then it happened! :eek:

It started as a small shreak from my wife........"ALAN......PLEASE COME HERE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!" and progressivel;y grew to "AHHHHH.........HURRY!!!!!!!!!!!!".

You will remember my previous story of how my delightful 7yo daughter has been known to go and get us a drink and maybe a bit of cheese at the end of the day after a hard days work and we'd all sit there and have a drink and chat while we admired a bit of gardening or renovation.

For some reason, today, my 7yo decided to try something different for the very first time.......remember......we're a few weeks away from wanting to sell and get the house spotless.......

My wife and I were were down in the garden when my 7yo discovered a bottle of red wine upstairs and decided she would 'surprise' us by putting some of this 'red stuff' in some glasses and bring down our staircase(with light coloured carpet :eek: ) to surprise us.

You guessed it...........I don't want you to simply imagine a knife murder of a few people.....think of what a staircase with light coloured carpet may look like after a chainsaw masacre.....got it? Blood all over the walls........carpet a deep red colour......a scene of total destruction......:eek: :eek:

She dropped the lot on the way down the stairs and red wine went everywhere!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhh.......what do you do.........she's a good kid and she was trying to do a nice thing???? :confused: :confused:

I'm trying to keep on telling myself that! :(

The journey continues........

13. Jacque

Oh dear :eek:
    So did you get it all out yet? I've heard that sprinkling salt on it asap after it happens is a good thing....
    Anyone else help poor Alan out here?
    I'm sure there's a few seasoned wine drinkers here who've had this mishap a few times :)

I hear that pink carpet is very in at the moment, however, Alan ;)

14. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

red wine ooops!

Alan

According to p115 of Spotless by Shannon Lush and Jennifer Fleming (great book btw - recommend it!)

New Red Wine Stain on carpet - use bicarb, vacuum cleaner, vinegar and nylon brush

How: Cover stain with good amount of bicarb and let dry for a few minutes. Then vacuum and re-apply a smaller amount of bicarb, add a little vinegar and scrub with a nylon brush. Leave it to dry, then vacuum.

Old red wine stain on carpet - use cloth, vinegar or metho, cloth

How: Damp the stain with cloth dipped in vinegar. If stain doesn't come out, lightly damp it with metho on cloth.

Failing that we've used some of the commercial spray can style carpet cleaners with good success. :rolleyes:

Hope that helps!

Cheers
    N.

15. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Thanks mate. :)

Is this appropriate to an Investment Forum?

Damn tootin! I was given an indication this afternoon of the cost to replace the carpet! :eek:

We may still be able to save it.....but my daughters days of drink waitressing are over! ;)

16. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

Sydney "A Current Affair" (or maybe the other one on 7) is doing a story tonight on crook building inspectors. The quick preview I saw was a worry, he looked like to one I used :D Twice actually !

17. TwoDogs

Arrr it was him, so no I don not recommend him !

I wasn't a very good inspector I though, but seems I was lucky. Perhaps because I was able to attend both inspections and follow him around.

18. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

I missed the Show.

What was the Company or individual's name?

Didn't even see the show so I'm of course not saying the company was good or bad.....

19. TwoDogs

No details of this story on their website. Man's name is Michael Partridge, trades under a few names including Inspector Homes. All around Sydney north shore.