Join our investing community

Rediscovering a love of music......

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alan, 3rd Nov, 2005.

1. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Has anyone else here 'rediscovered' a love of music through 'media change'?

Ummm.......let me explain......

Back in my somewhat younger years in the 1970's......about 15yo or so......not THAT long ago :p a mate of mine and I used to have a live radio program called 'Tracking' on the local radio station for about an hour or so a week.

How cool was this for a 15yo :D .......we had an 'arrangement' with the local record store(remember those 'round' things?) that we'd come in once a week, pick out 10 'record albums' :rolleyes:, borrow them for a week and make the odd mention on the show where we obtained them from.

Ok.....the record collection came and went........some CD's were bought over the years, but the time to both play and enjoy the music seemed to really get reduced. :(

Then a while back I discovered MP3 files!

Ok........I 'ripped' every CD I had and more to MP3's.......and do you know something........I seem to need to spend a bit of time on the computer for work, property management, tax prep, education, communications etc etc. I bought some nice 'speakers' for the laptop and now while I'm 'working' I'm rediscovering the enjoyment of some great music all over again.......

No......sorry dear.......I still haven't finished the tax prep.......I'll be there soon!! :D Shhhh Nick........I still haven't sent it in yet ok?

Hmmm.......I'll just turn up Hotel California a bit more I think.......

:D

2. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hehe Alan- your post made me laugh :)
    We did get a new fantastic sound system recently and I have had immense pleasure playing my favs such as Il Divo and George Michael (eclectic tastes, yes I know) as loud as possible. I love it :)

3. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque.

I've got a 2yo dancing around here at the moment to Dr Hook! :D

I know.......she should be in bed.........soon ok?

:)

4. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Dr Hook?! Oh bring it on! I adored those guys!!!
    We must be in the same age bracket then Alan :)

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Alan and Jacque,

What about Miles Davis, Keith Jarrett, Sonny Rollins, Don Ellis e.c.t :confused:

6. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

I couldn't live without music. Seriously. No cd's for me either - it's gotta be vinyl!

I also d/l a lot of music from p2p programs - not copyrighted stuff (well, not a *lot* of copyrighted stuff at least) - mostly stuff that is really difficult or near impossible to find here in Oz.

Actually right now going back to my early-ish days and d/ling a lot of Conflict actually. Geez I love the internet.

Mark

7. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Were they with the Rolling Stones? ;)
    Seriously, Tropo, I think you and I are from different eras then...
    My recollections are more Bay City Rollers, Sherbet and INXS. Then again, tastes do become a little more eclectic as we age as well.
    Never used to like Simon and Garfunkel until 8-10 yrs ago either.

8. Dose

Dose New Member

Hi Alan,
    Quite a while ago we started turning off the TV after the news and put on 104.3 FM and love listening to all the 70,80's and 90's music. Our teenage kids love all our music. My son now downloads any songs that he has heard on the radio on my PC and I even have my own playlist on his IPod. I use his IPod for the gym or if I go for a walk. Our PC playlist includes The Ramones, Michael Jackson. ACDC, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Bob Seger, wings, ZZ Top, Beatles and Wierd Al Yankovic just to name a few.

Dose

9. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

" Seriously, Tropo, I think you and I are from different eras then... ".

Jacque,
    Maybe not from different eras....but we have got probably different taste...
    After all what is wrong with The Beatles, J. Hendrix, Ten Years After,Cream or E.Clapton...
    But yes.....I am 100% jazz fan from age of 21..... :)
    :cool:

10. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Dose,

The Ramones! Iron Maiden! So awesome. If you haven't seen it yet, get a copy of End of The Century - The Story of The Ramones. It's awesome, such a good doco.

Mark

11. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

http://www.pandora.com/

This is amazing. Tailors a radio station online to your taste in music!

I started with The Beta Band and got some awesome tracks from it!

12. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Hey........thanks for that Simon.

Fantastic!

Now.......back to the music......... :D

13. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Simon,
    What a link !!.
    Where did you get it from???. :D
    :cool:

14. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Me too! I'm hooked!

I'd read about the music genome project but forgotten they were going to do this...it's way better than radio!

Thanks Simon!

15. eddievanhalen

eddievanhalen Active Member

Can't say I'm into too many of those bands there - I'm an 80's rock child so Dose is more my kinda guy/gal. Most of my stuff is on CD's , a little vinyl and unfortunately quite a few still on tape (most of which have packed up :mad: )

Being a fulltime share trader/investor means I spend most of my time on this here PC and I am gradually replaying much of my collection while I work. Any new CDs I buy I actually claim as a home office deduction because with the hours I work they only ever get played in here and I think I deserve some sort of company while I work in here by myself all day :)

For those in the same situation as me who can't stand today's music/radio and enjoy 80's rock/metal bands there is an online radio station called hardrockin80s.com that can be quite good. They do have shows that are too heavy for my taste but often you'll switch them on and it'll be 80's hard rocker heaven..........track after track of Jovi, Def Leppard, Europe,Whitesnake,Queensryche,Danger Danger, Dream Theater, Aerosmith etc..........

My collection is a wet dream for collectors from that era/style , much of which most people have never heard but would love if they knew it existed - not too many of us melodic rockers around though :rolleyes:

Ed

16. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member

Thanks Simon, now there's yet another excuse to spend time on the computer. :rolleyes: :D

I'll just stay long enough to hear what track comes up next! :p