Registering an expired business name

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Steves_8, 24th Feb, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Steves_8

Steves_8 New Member

Hi folks.

I am in the process of starting a new eCommerce business. So far everything is going to plan, with one exception. The 'trading as' name I would like to use appears to have been claimed in Queensland :mad:, though as far as I can tell, it isn't actually being used :)

Originally registered in 1993, the registration is due for renewal later this year. Because I can't find any activity, I'm hoping that the current owner won't bother re-registering. If this happens, can I immediately apply to register the name?

Fingers crossed somebody can help!

Steve

2. Superman__

Superman__ Well-Known Member

Steve

Before waiting for the business name rego to expire, you should do a search on IP Australia - Welcome to the home page of IP Australia and see if the name is trademarked. If not trademark it in the appropriate catergory(ies).

The following article explains it really nicely:

Business Name Trademark - check for trademarks BEFORE registering in Australia

If you want the name fight for it using a trade mark and a letter from your solicitor. That would encourage the current QLD business name holder NOT to re-register.

For anyone interested in learning more about IP for your business (expecially for web based businesses) Stratacore is running a training day on the Gold Coast next week Thursday 4th of March. Cost is extremely reasonable for $88 per person. More information here:
    Stratacore

Contact me for further details.

SM

3. Steves_8

Steves_8 New Member

Hi SM
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give it some thought. I'm a little wary of flagging my interest in the business name, because it might persuade the current owner to re-register and then try to sell the rights to me, if that's possible - like a domain name 'web squatter'.

I think claiming the trademark is good avice, too.

Cheers

Steve

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice