'Regular employment" defined in TPD?

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by ted__, 21st Jul, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ted__

ted__ New Member

Hi,

I have a death and TPD cover with my super fund, which is current regardless of employment situation provided premiums are paid.

In December 2008 I concluded with my employer with the aim of retraining and transitioning to other employment. However, this year I have had some health issues, which are currently being investigated. At the time when these health issues arose, I had been working in contract employment of about 16 hours per week averaged out over an 8-week period.

It is possible that the outcome of my health investigations will lead to a serious diagnosis. My TPD cover states that to be eligible for TPD you must at the "time of injury/illness, be regularly employed for at least fifteen hours a week." My question is, how is 'regular employment' typically defined? Does being contracted by 2 different organisations over an 8-week period constitute as regular employment?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Ted,

You are best off talking to your superannuation fund as they are the best people to help you with.

Total and Permanent Disability usually means that you will NEVER work again. Two doctors are generally needed to confirm this (have you spoken to your doctors?). Maybe ask your super fund if they have partial salary continuance/income protection?

Cheers,

Dan

PS This is general information. Before making an insurance decision speak to your FPA registered Financial Planner.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF